Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Street and Documentary
C&C appreciated. :bow

Comments

• Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    A better caption might be, "Looking for Sarah Connor."

I dunno; I think the background to the left just distracts from the guy. Maybe if you cropped it down so that he's in the left 1/3 instead of the right 1/3 it would be more focused on the subject.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    WillCAD wrote:
    A better caption might be, "Looking for Sarah Connor."

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    This is a nice image for sure. I think I'd agree that it could use a shave on the left but not too much. Nice shot.

The title, though, could use a very close shave. :D How about simply: "Info Center"? That title could be pushing it a bit as it gives the reader a push towards a subject in the photo but I think, in this case, it is fairly obvious. The point is to not reveal any "truth" in the title.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    This is a nice image for sure. I think I'd agree that it could use a shave on the left but not too much. Nice shot.

The title, though, could use a very close shave. :D How about simply: "Info Center"? That title could be pushing it a bit as it gives the reader a push towards a subject in the photo but I think, in this case, it is fairly obvious. The point is to not reveal any "truth" in the title.

thumb.gifthumb Thank you. I'm going to adjust crop and see if it does anything for the image.I also really appreciate the comments on titling images. I am always conflicted about as it seems others are sometimes too.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    Just a trim....thoughts? headscratch.gifscratch
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    thumb.gifthumb Thank you. I'm going to adjust crop and see if it does anything for the image.I also really appreciate the comments on titling images. I am always conflicted about as it seems others are sometimes too.
    I, too, am not 100% when it comes to titling. I have, for a long time, just avoided it completely but recently decided to turn over a new leaf. I'm just now trying to be proactive about proper titling.
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Just a trim....thoughts? headscratch.gifscratch
    I do think that the new crop strengthens the image. Nice job. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I like your image. I had to laugh at the reference to Sarah Connor made by WillCAD.

Regarding titling: this is an area so fraught with subjectivesness that it's almost pointless to make comments about the choice made by the post originator. Seldom do I see a viewer-proposed alternate title be any better than the one accompanying the photo. By the very nature of it, my own comment right here is about as subjective as it can be. Judge a picture by its merits and quit paying attention to the title.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    Judge a picture by its merits and quit paying attention to the title.

Tom
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    Judge a picture by its merits and quit paying attention to the title.
    This is an impressively matter-of-fact statement for such a "subjective" area. Perhaps you could come argue your point in the thread intended for this discussion.
    Travis
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    thoth...

I would have sworn that this thread was appropriate for a comment about titling, since you saw fit to address that issue within it twice before I did.

For someone to assume that they are more adept at titling an image is, as far as I'm concerned, an exercise in ego stroking. I defy anyone to propose an alternate " proper " title that does not reflect his own personal bias and predjudice.

The broader question; why get tied up in all this titling crap to start with?
    The photographer can elect to title or not to title. The reviewer should assess the work based on its photographic qualities alone.....who cares what the shooter did or did not call the picture.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    thoth...

I would have sworn that this thread was appropriate for a comment about titling, since you saw fit to address that issue within it twice before I did.
    I would agree that this is a fine place to discuss Nikconic1's title, which is what I did. I do not agree that this is a fine place to address the theory of titling.
    For someone to assume that they are more adept at titling an image is, as far as I'm concerned, an exercise in ego stroking. I defy anyone to propose an alternate " proper " title that does not reflect his own personal bias and predjudice.

The broader question; why get tied up in all this titling crap to start with?
    The photographer can elect to title or not to title. The reviewer should assess the work based on its photographic qualities alone.....who cares what the shooter did or did not call the picture.

Tom
    Titling, or not titling, is an extremely important aspect of some genres of photography. A very large part of this forum's participants agree that this is true for the genres it contains. Again, I invite you to bring your comments to the thread I linked so that we can leave Nikonic1's thread alone.
    Travis