edited December 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
749250408_xsaDy-L.jpg
"…………………" - Marcel Marceau

Comments

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    "Two Fellows Sitting Close on a Bench in the Snow"

Now that's a good title. :D It's fun to discover a new passion.
    Travis
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    "Two Fellows Sitting Close on a Bench in the Snow"

Now that's a good title. :D

Er…

…but don't you think that's just a bit obvious? :D

- Wil
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Er…

…but don't you think that's just a bit obvious? :D

- Wil
    Haha, yes! The title should reflect the obvious as necessary to identify the image. If you reflect more than the obvious then you've started telling the user what to see.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    Fair enough…

…but that was the only Dec 24th image I posted! :D

(BTW - I'm enjoying your discussion re: titles - you make some very interesting points! thumb.gif )

- Wil
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    …but that was the only Dec 24th image I posted! :D
    Touché!
    Wil Davis wrote:
    (BTW - I'm enjoying your discussion re: titles - you make some very interesting points! thumb.gif )
    Thank you, Wil. I just hope I can do my part to make this forum a little better. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Touché!

Thank you, Wil. I just hope I can do my part to make this forum a little better. thumb.gif

Or notrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

This is really getting, uh, inane. Let's concentrate on the photography. Two Fellows Sitting On A Bench In The Snow? For real?

A date, a place name, a date and a place, a one word description for you to be able to find the photo.

Tony's recent photo of the watermelon woman is actually a terrific example - of why you don't need captions. The photo shows a woman sleeping in her pile of watermelons. There's a sign that says Maria. The photo says it all! Calling that photo "Maria At Rest" is like calling it "Hey dummy - Ya, you! If you're too damn stupid to figure this out - her name's Maria and she's resting!" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (And, yes, Tony, that is a street photo - and it would be much better without the pp. clap.gifclap.gif

If someone really thinks that photo requires a caption, how about "Watermellons?"

Here's an example - This one is entitled "Wha?"
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    I don't think the picture needs a title. However, I think it would be a better picture if it were grabbed, rather than posed (obvious when you look at the hands, and the fact that she's standing upright…)

(BTW - Looks just like the design I painted on the sunshade for my car…)

Re: Tony's "Watermelons" - I found that one somewhat disturbing; I though it was a corpse at first! I have a problem getting around some of the heavy PP stuff, but that's just me!

- Wil
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Or notrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

This is really getting, uh, inane. Let's concentrate on the photography. Two Fellows Sitting On A Bench In The Snow? For real?

A date, a place name, a date and a place, a one word description for you to be able to find the photo.
    Go ahead and ignore the thread in which I attempted to discuss this. There are lots of things that I consider "inane" that go on around here -- namely clicking on every damned link in this forum in search of a photo I'm trying to find.
    bdcolen wrote:
    Tony's recent photo of the watermelon woman is actually a terrific example - of why you don't need captions. The photo shows a woman sleeping in her pile of watermelons. There's a sign that says Maria. The photo says it all! Calling that photo "Maria At Rest" is like calling it "Hey dummy - Ya, you! If you're too damn stupid to figure this out - her name's Maria and she's resting!" rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif (And, yes, Tony, that is a street photo - and it would be much better without the pp. clap.gifclap.gif

If someone really thinks that photo requires a caption, how about "Watermellons?"
    This is a perfectly reasonable argument, B.D., had I not explained my intent at least a dozen times. I would have thought that you, of all people, would be capable of understanding my very careful explanation that these photos need some form of identification. I find it impossible to believe that this forum is inhabited by a bunch of people who cannot read. That leaves only purposeful ignorance in replies such as this. I am dumbfounded. headscratch.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Two Fellows Sitting On A Bench In The Snow? For real?
    And, since I didn't address this directly. I should hope it would be obvious that this was an overly exaggerated attempt at pointing out that the photo can be meaningfully titled, and thus later identified, without providing the viewer with some preconceived notion. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    However, I think it would be a better picture if it were grabbed, rather than posed (obvious when you look at the hands, and the fact that she's standing upright…)

- Wil

Let's not forget that there is some pretty impressive photography that is posed. And this isn't it. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif But is this a street photo, or documentary, or PJ? No. Of course not. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed