Couple dancing energetically

pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited December 28, 2009 in Street and Documentary
745797043_d9Uma-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 24, 2009
    Not bad for a snap...what is that oof white rectangle in the f/g? Actually most everything is blurry.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    This made me smile. I just love the guy's gesture and the enthusiasm of the much younger woman. Looks like their team just won the finals.

The big problem is that the white thing in the foreground ruins the picture.

I think it would work much better with a close square crop including his right hand and her left hand. Even without all of her hair in the picture, you would have a sense of her in motion. The whole story would be there - well almost. You would lose the context.

Even if you don't try a square crop, at a minimum, I would crop it to get rid of the white thing in the foreground.

I would also burn in the white elbow between them.

You could try it in black and white, but I suspect it is going to do better in color.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    Good call! I'll try out your suggestions before I put it in an album/print
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    [/QUOTE]

They are wonderful - great observation! Unfortunately, that white greatly detracts from the impact of the image.

Also - the caption...You say they're dancing, but I don't see it. I see two wonderfully animated, engaged subjects. But dancing? Where's the music? Where are their feet? Where's anything to suggest dancing.
    This once again demonstrates why it is usually far better to just let the image speak for itself - regardless of what Travis says. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

As to the comment about it being "blurry..." I can't help wondering where the current obsession with sharpness comes from. Go look at some classic street photography and documentary photography. Both, you will see are about the subject and the composition, not about being able to dissect eyeballs with razor blades. Yes, you should strive to focus accurately, expose correctly, and select a shutter speed that will freeze your subject - if you want to. But there are many times when conditions will make it virtually impossible to eliminate all subject movement or camera movement, or in order to capture the moment you will not quite be able to nail the focus. So what? rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    That is interesting that it didn't come across that they were dancing! I guess that is why it's important to get constant feedback. I am usually a sharpness freak and tend to toss a lot of my images because of blur or focus issues but I am not bothered my the blur in this one... plus the image is noisy enough as it is, if I had used a higher ISO (to be able to use a faster shutter because I am pretty sure aperture was wide open) this image would be very very grainy and then I wouldn't like it.

I think a lot of us are very concerned with sharpness because it sort of makes part of taking a photo that looks "professional." Taking and using a blurry picture is breaking a rule and I suppose a lot of us don't quite feel all the way comfortable breaking rules yet. I have definitely noticed more experienced photographers (not necessarily older) are more attracted to a little blur and grain.

Thank you for your input everyone, I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    pgaviria wrote:
    That is interesting that it didn't come across that they were dancing! I guess that is why it's important to get constant feedback. I am usually a sharpness freak and tend to toss a lot of my images because of blur or focus issues but I am not bothered my the blur in this one... plus the image is noisy enough as it is, if I had used a higher ISO (to be able to use a faster shutter because I am pretty sure aperture was wide open) this image would be very very grainy and then I wouldn't like it.

I think a lot of us are very concerned with sharpness because it sort of makes part of taking a photo that looks "professional." Taking and using a blurry picture is breaking a rule and I suppose a lot of us don't quite feel all the way comfortable breaking rules yet. I have definitely noticed more experienced photographers (not necessarily older) are more attracted to a little blur and grain.

Thank you for your input everyone, I really appreciate it.

I had no doubt that they were dancing, and I think the shot is sharp enough for rock 'n' roll, but I don't care for the white thingy either. There is also some sort of shadow or PP artifact running down the guy's back that looks peculiar. The gestures are great, though.