Options

Midnight Mass and Ladies in Tombstone

ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited December 28, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Ok folks: These first two shots I am looking for feedback on composition and style. I know they are not exposed the best, lighting was horrid in this 100 year + mission and I did not want to use the flash as it would have disturbed the ceremony. I did get a lot of good pics of the building but these three I would like to see what you have to say.

4218330550_9ecd54dfb2.jpg

4218337866_6a2612c93c.jpg

This last one is a pic of my mom.

4218342246_cc2d99ae9b.jpg

This next one is probably one of my favorites from the trip. This is the one I really likee and the next one I am not sure as the bus driver is in it but I like that you can see the whole window:

4217581663_617e558eae.jpg

4214346961_3681fc276d_o.jpg

I look forward to your comments.

Chaos
Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Ok folks: These first two shots I am looking for feedback on composition and style. I know they are not exposed the best, lighting was horrid in this 100 year + mission and I did not want to use the flash as it would have disturbed the ceremony. I did get a lot of good pics of the building but these three I would like to see what you have to say.

I look forward to your comments.

Chaos

I like the first, though I would crop it across the top.
    Second is nothing.
    The one of your Mom - third one? - is really lovely - terrific image.clap.gifclap.gif

As to the last two...The one of the three women alone is well observed and well composed, though it would be much better if you were closer. (And...With that and the one below I'd suggest being careful to keep conspicuous vertical or horizontal lines vertical or horizontal. When they're slightly off they can be disconcerting.) Also, I'd like to see the two of the three women in black and white.

As to the one with the bus driver...I have mixed feelings about it. I like his prescence on some levels. I don't know that he's a bus driver, or wouldn't know it if you hadn't told me, and he adds an element of...dread perhaps? Menace?

Anyway, nice work and welcome to the mad house...rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    BD I emailed you the BW, My smugmug trial is up and I hate loading pics to flickr so I just shot you an email. The third pic is my mom and I am glad you liked the image. That is her meditative face when in church.

So all of those who may be voting in the DSS 40 Challenge...I could REALLY use the year free account :Dthumb.gifmwink.gif
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I liked the first one...it has a kind of oil painting quality to it. I would have straightened the image though so the railing is horizontal and cropped it just below the dark arcs at the top.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thanks!!

I will tinker with that and repost it tonight.

I just wish it had come out clearer. Oh well.