Digital Photo Frames: So many choices, so little time

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited January 4, 2010 in Accessories
I'm starting to research digital photo frames and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices out there. I'd really like to get one to sit on my desk at work so I can look at photos, especially photos of the kids, while I am working. Of course I'll lock it up after I leave work for the day!! (either that, or is there a model with a K-Lock??)

Wireless functions (RSS, Flickr, etc...) would be nice, but are not necessary. I could just as easily copy files to a card and transfer them to the frame.

I like the Insignia frames at Best Buy because of features: auto-rotate, programmable on/off, turns on when the lights in the room are on and turns off when the lights are turned off, etc....

I need to save up the $$$ for the frame, so I won't be buying right now, so prices and models can change by the time I am ready to purchase. I don't want to spend $200+ on a frame. I would like a good quality model. I don't need one that washes the dishes for me, but I also don't want the "Budget Special".

Toshiba's look nice and so do Sony and Kodak. Like I said, there are so many models. Where do I start?

Thank you in advance :)
Neal

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I've purchased a few Philips frames and been very happy with them. You want to get one (whatever brand) that has a USB or SD or CF slot, not just built-in memory. You'll also want to look very closely at the resolution. i recommend not going lower then 800x600 for something up to 10", any larger then that and don't go lower then 1024x800 - of course depending on the aspect ratio.

One thing I noticed a LOT when researching frames is that most frames seem to be "widescreen" these days, where as my camera shoots 4x6. I did manage to find some nice 4x6 frames from Philips and others though.

When you load your photos onto the card or usb for the frame, you should use something like Adobe Lightroom to export all your images at the maximum resolution for the frame. If you leave them in a larger size, the frame will have to shrink them and you probably won't like the results or the time it takes to move to the next image in slideshow mode.

Oh yeah, i have 2 9" frames and 2 14" frames, I've never spent over $100 for a frame and I am very happy with both.
    ~ Lisa
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thank you for your reply. :)

I would probably get one with 4:3 aspect ratio so it doesn't cut off elements of the photo. I wouldn't really be using it to show video.

Considering that photo frames have really come down in price, I don't anticipate having to spend more than $100, but a few models out there are currently on sale for $129. I don't have the fund$ yet, so I'll be saving my pennies and watching the sales.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I did a ton of research on these (and buying and returning!) to find the right one for my parents for Christmas.

The most important features to me were picture quality and wifi that would work with Smugmug RSS feeds. The goal was that my parents could turn on the frame at their house and get effortless photo updates from our account and my sister's family.

I settled on this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHCNTQ/ref=oss_T15_product

It works perfectly with Smugmug through FrameChannel (which has some other really neat things too). The picture quality is pretty good. Colors are a bit washed out but overall the quality is fine. I tried a lot of frames that sucked but I was so pleased with this one that after Christmas I ordered one for myself. I already have a non-wifi frame but I never take the time to update the pictures on the card.
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thank you, but other than your review on Amazon, I can't seem to find any reviews about this product. There are a few reviews on NewEgg and they are not positive. Also, FrameChannel is advertising supported. I don't want advertising on my photo frame.

If I had $200 I wouldn't mind something like this.
    edited January 3, 2010
    Thank you for the feedback. I just wanted to do a quick update and say that I ended up with this one from Best Buy. I loaded some images on it last night, but I really haven't had a chance to play around with it. I'll have to put it through it's paces. :D

One thing that I'd like on any photo frame is a "K-Lock" so that you can put the display somewhere (I want to use this at work, so I can see family photos at my desk) and lock it down.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I converted the old lab top to photo frame. Since my old Dell XP laptop has no juice to run the latest MS office, the company sold it to me at 100 dollar.

Keep the XP photo viewer and let it run. The 15 inch screen is bigger any of electronic photo frame. Considering to get an old 17"CRT monitor at 50 dollars for a bigger display at the living hall.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited January 4, 2010
    I converted the old lab top to photo frame. Since my old Dell XP laptop has no juice to run the latest MS office, the company sold it to me at 100 dollar.

Keep the XP photo viewer and let it run. The 15 inch screen is bigger any of electronic photo frame. Considering to get an old 17"CRT monitor at 50 dollars for a bigger display at the living hall.

I considered something like that. My company occasionally has "fire sales" and sells off old equipment. I also considered a netbook, but I wanted a larger screen. My mom, dad and sister all use netbooks. I can't stand using them, the screen is just too small for me!
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I considered something like that. My company occasionally has "fire sales" and sells off old equipment. I also considered a netbook, but I wanted a larger screen. My mom, dad and sister all use netbooks. I can't stand using them, the screen is just too small for me!

the new generation ultralight notebook from Dell, HP, Sony are really light and potrable, comparable to the iBook Air.

Try to re-use the old note books to save the earth:ivar

The advantage of using old notebooks are
    1. more flexible. can use powerpoint, photoviewer, even log to photo site
    2. those old notebooks usually functioning alright, only the battery may be weak. So can bring it around the house or office and look of power later.
    3. Can be use as point of sales - connect to bigger screen or even projector to "market" your photos during some events (may be possible to get some money to upgrade the camera)
    4. can copy the file to other media for sharing.

talk to the IT department in the office to get a good bargain.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/