Options

The importance of having a backup photog!

fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Weddings
Just a reminder to everyone- have someone you can call in an emergency! I had a potentially horrible situation this past weekend that ended up being good for everyone!

I had a wedding scheduled for August 22nd (& have had it scheduled since February). Contract signed, paid in full. Then my grandmother ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks. We knew it was near the end, but weren't sure exactly when she would pass away. Since I had some idea that I could potentially need to be out of town on the 22nd, I contacted a friend/other local photog. She was free that day & so we worked it out so she'd be "on call". I informed the client of the possibility of the other photog & they were just happy that I was so thoughtful. And guess what happened? My grandmother passed away early Tuesday morning & I was able to go & be with my family without worrying about the wedding! I simply paid the other photog for her time & she gave me the negatives. I am taking care of the touch-ups/album design/ordering. The clients are happy & so am I! (And since my friend/photog is familiar with my style, she even got a few of my "signature shots"!)

(Before anyone says anything about it, I do have a stipulation in my contract for this sort of thing, but I wanted to provide a photog if at all possible since it's so close to the wedding date!)

So, I guess I just want to remind all of you who are in business by yourself to make sure you have a backup plan! It can really save your butt & your reputation if you do!

Comments

• Options
    elizabeth_Lunaelizabeth_Luna Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    fcorin13 wrote:
    Just a reminder to everyone- have someone you can call in an emergency! I had a potentially horrible situation this past weekend that ended up being good for everyone!

I had a wedding scheduled for August 22nd (& have had it scheduled since February). Contract signed, paid in full. Then my grandmother ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks. We knew it was near the end, but weren't sure exactly when she would pass away. Since I had some idea that I could potentially need to be out of town on the 22nd, I contacted a friend/other local photog. She was free that day & so we worked it out so she'd be "on call". I informed the client of the possibility of the other photog & they were just happy that I was so thoughtful. And guess what happened? My grandmother passed away early Tuesday morning & I was able to go & be with my family without worrying about the wedding! I simply paid the other photog for her time & she gave me the negatives. I am taking care of the touch-ups/album design/ordering. The clients are happy & so am I! (And since my friend/photog is familiar with my style, she even got a few of my "signature shots"!)

(Before anyone says anything about it, I do have a stipulation in my contract for this sort of thing, but I wanted to provide a photog if at all possible since it's so close to the wedding date!)

So, I guess I just want to remind all of you who are in business by yourself to make sure you have a backup plan! It can really save your butt & your reputation if you do!

Thank you for your wisdom, never saw it this way good thing I'm networking now with other photographers.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    fcorin13 wrote:

sorry for your loss and I am glad things worked out. Honestly though.. If I were in the same boat I would have probably still gone. I suppose I don't know another photographer artistically well enough and trustworthy enough to hand over the reigns like that though...glad you did.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Kudos to you for putting the client first and having the forethought to have a plan!

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    sorry for your loss and I am glad things worked out. Honestly though.. If I were in the same boat I would have probably still gone. I suppose I don't know another photographer artistically well enough and trustworthy enough to hand over the reigns like that though...glad you did.

I am very lucky in that I've worked many, many times with the other photographer (she actually got her start in wedding photography by second shooting for me!). She is fantastic & she knows my style. :) It worked out great!

I don't think I stated this before, but there was no way I could attend the funeral of my grandmother (who I was very close to) & the wedding because one was at 10 am in Kansas City & the other was at 2 pm in St. Louis!

Anyhow, just wanted to share in the little lesson that I learned! :)
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I was going to start a thread on this very topic, but I found this older one.

I like being prepared for EVERYTHING if possible. I knew I needed to line up a few of my qualified local photog friends as backup, just incase. My "life lines".

I'm glad you mentioned how you simply let the other one shoot that day, and just pay her for the time. (I think you said it was a her). For some reason, I was thinking I would have to give away my whole wedding package to another shooter. Nope, just the shoot time, as long as we reach a happy agreement on price that works for all.

I would like to see if any more information can be dealt out in this thread on this subject. Anyone else want to chime in about what YOU have lined up, or how you have handled such a situation?
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    The nice thing is that I was able to keep a good relationship with the client- we are scheduled to do family pictures of them next month! :)

I've worked quite a bit with the other photog (it was a "her"!) and we are actually friends "outside" of photography, too. It really helps for us! We know each other's style & photography personality so when we work a wedding for the other person, we can implement their style. It's one of those rare finds that works for us!

Back to your question- I think a big thing is to have it mentioned in your contract. I let my clients know that it is highly unlikely that anything will happen, but just in case I do have a back-up plan. Everyone has always been grateful so far just that I've thought ahead! :) Luckily, in the last 5 years of weddings, I've only had to do it 1 time!
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Yep, I already have it in my contract that I will tak every possible action to find a backup if needed. Now, I'm just looking for ideas of how to get set up for such an event, if needed. I know it starts be me emailing a few of my locals photog compadres.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog