Options

My Recent Shots

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in People
Hi All,

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I've been away for Christmas....hope to catch up on everyone's posts now. Looks like I've missed a lot!

I've been shooting (almost daily) and really enjoying all of the photo ops of the holiday time. Here is a small sampling of what I've been up to....

Oh and I started a photostream on Flickr. A friend bought me an upgrade to a pro account for Christmas. The uploads are lighting fast. Anyway, feel feel free to comment/critique there too. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freezethemomentphotography/

I've had 3 photos go to Explore, so that was a nice suprise. It is fun to see what kind of comments you get, but not nearly as helpful as the great critique here.

Anyway, I'd love to hear thoughts, comments on these.

THANKS everyone!

THUMNAILFAVBOKEH.jpg

ThumbnailHeartwarming.jpg

THUMNAIL1.jpg

Thumnail2.jpg

THUMNAILKIDS.jpg

Thumbnail5.jpg

THUMBNAILfreshsnow.jpg

THUMBNAILkristafirstsnow.jpg

FirstSnowteardropthumbnail.jpg

1stSnowmanoftheyear_thumbnail.jpg

Thumnailoftoenails.jpg

Waitingforsantathumbnail.jpg

Reduced1.jpg

reduced5.jpg

reduced4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Wow, this is a really nice set. These are all keepers. Very nice work. Your skin tones are very appealing. Great post processing.

My favorites are 1, 5, 8, 9, 12, and 13. My pick of the litter, lol...13...this one goes on the wall. I love the post processing, the pose, and your choice of backgrounds. Spot-on as they say in England. If you have a studio window...this one belongs there.

Just viewed your flickr images. Nice work...

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Beautiful set Kelly! The lighting is very nice to me, and the poses just seem so natural and relaxed. Good job! clap.gif

Number 4 reminds me of a photo that was taken of me. Mind you, I was about 30, hammered and passed out on the floor! (I might of even been in those same kind of overalls! (kidding)) rolleyes1.gif It's a great photo (the one you took).

My favourites are: 7,8,9,10,13 and 14. Keep up the good work! thumb.gif

Take Care,
    Joyeux Noel et Bonne Année!
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I agree, it's a really nice set! iloveyou.gif

The only 2 that are not working for me are:
    #11 - (Feet) I think it's just too busy
    #15 - (Sleeping Baby) It's just the position of his legs actually, but I know that position is tough ... thumb.gif

I think the ones in the snow might profit from some more contrast, and maybe saturation, but that's just the way I'd do it .... would give the pics a bit more pop + I bet the eyes would jump right at you, if you'd just turn it up a little :D

Other than that really cute pics. iloveyou.gif My favorites are:
    #2 (Sleeping baby with hat on blue blanket
    #7 (Girl catching snow flakes)
    #8 & 9 (the 2 portraits of the 2 girls)
    #13 & 14 (sleeping baby on tummy) - Though I think the baby is almost getting too old for this position thumb.gif

clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks Ed, Angie and Joe! :) Ed...you know, that is my FAVORITE all time pic too. Absolutely hands down going big on my wall :) Thanks to all 3 of you for agreeing with me! I'm so glad you all liked it. I didn't want to say what my fav was when I posted...just wanted to see the response first. Angie, he always sleeps with his bum up. It is one of the little things I adore about himrolleyes1.gif . I'll be crushed the day when he decides to sleep the the rest of the big people world, lol! Joe, you cracked me up there with your comment on 4.... TOO FUNNY about the suspenders! I think I might play a bit in the snow and see what the contrast and sat would do for those. A big thanks for the suggestion. iloveyou.gif Glad I got some thumbs up :ivar
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Great stuff, girl!! It just gets better and better!
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Wow, some great shots here! your skills improve with nearly every post.

1. not a fan of this one, it looks too edited..like the dark fabric near his face seems too sharp, like it was cut off, and the background bugs me

2 love it, wish he didn't have the dark strap showing.

3&4 nice

5. I might throw some light on your youngest daughter's face in PP, she is so much darker than her baby brother up front.

6 nice

7 AWESOME ! love the colors, love the angles and the lines. I do spot a small straight line ( from cloning?) on the left side , in the wooded area, between the fur hood and edge of photo. You might even think about cropping it closer, maybe to get rid of the black pants. As I scroll down it just looks better without the dark in the bottom corner.

8 wonderful

9 AMAZING!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Best of the bunch. Love love it. Love the little cold eye "tear". A tiny pop, or sharpening of the eyes would make it about perfect IMHO.

11 not working at all for me, and it almost appears there is a glimpse of too much skin under his left ankle.

10 and the rest are great.

I am always impressed at how much you accomplish with your photos considering your models are mostly your children and we all know how just having kids is time consuming but you manage to also round them up for these poses with props and all!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks Melissa and Trudy for the comments. Trudy, thank you SO much also for going one by one through the photos. This is an enormous help to me. Sometimes you just can't see things when they are your own photo. I've noticed a LOT from your comments.. SUPER helpful...

"1. not a fan of this one, it looks too edited..like the dark fabric near his face seems too sharp, like it was cut off, and the background bugs me"

You know... I never even noticed how the fabric looked around his face. It does look choppy. It was actually because he was on a bed and the fabric bunched up around his face. I upped the blacks and I think that is why it looks that way. I didn't even notice how the lines were so angular..

"2 love it, wish he didn't have the dark strap showing."

I'll have to go back through the series. I know I got some that were even more close up than this...perhaps without the shoulders and strap. I did this shoot for the subsequent shots actually. I had this suspender vision in my head for some time, lol! There are so many cute props for girls. I am just obsessed with suspenders for boys. I got him a real pair too... I just need to wait until he can walk to do the other shots I have in my minds eye... Laughing.gif! Stay tuned.

"3&4 nice"

Great.

"5. I might throw some light on your youngest daughter's face in PP, she is so much darker than her baby brother up front."

Yikes. How do you do that? Selectively adding light? Would you just select her face and up the levels?

"6 nice"

Great.

"7 AWESOME ! love the colors, love the angles and the lines. I do spot a small straight line ( from cloning?) on the left side , in the wooded area, between the fur hood and edge of photo. You might even think about cropping it closer, maybe to get rid of the black pants. As I scroll down it just looks better without the dark in the bottom corner."

Great idea on the crop. I actually thought of that too but didn't do it. You have such a great eye. Thanks for pointing that out. I was trying to eliminate the fence post! You can see it bright and clear in #10...I'll clean that up.

"8 wonderful"
    Yay

"9 AMAZING!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Best of the bunch. Love love it. Love the little cold eye "tear". A tiny pop, or sharpening of the eyes would make it about perfect IMHO."

This was one of my Explores. You have good taste! I will sharpen it up...just the eyes, you think?

"11 not working at all for me, and it almost appears there is a glimpse of too much skin under his left ankle."

Yes.. perhaps a bit distracting. and eek yes there might be a boy part there behind his foot. My bad. I was just loving the tinsel bokeh, lol!

"10 and the rest are great."

My favs were actually those last four. Glad you liked them. 12, 13 and 14 are getting enlarged. :)

"I am always impressed at how much you accomplish with your photos considering your models are mostly your children and we all know how just having kids is time consuming but you manage to also round them up for these poses with props and all!"

That is so nice of you. The only one that took effort was 5. The sleeping shots are only hard because I lose my "naptime break" from babysitting, lol. Instead of putting him down in his crib for the nap, I lay him on my bed for the shots. This means after I finish shooting I have to sit there next to the bed to make sure he doesn't roll off when he wakes up. It gives me time to download my pictures and edit them a bit though :D

Thanks again for your input. VERY valuable to me.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I hope you don't mind if I join in on the comments.

All amazing images. So nice, clean and crisp looking. Were they all taken with the 50mm?

Wonderful work.

Peace, gail
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks for chiming in Gail! I'm always happy with feedback and critique! Yes these are all shot with the 50 mm 1.8 (at 1.8). They are all natural lighting as well.:D
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    great use of the nifty fifty and natural lighting
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Thanks for chiming in Gail! I'm always happy with feedback and critique! Yes these are all shot with the 50 mm 1.8 (at 1.8). They are all natural lighting as well.:D

Wow, that natural light is illuminating. Wonderful images, thanks for allowing my 2cents.

Peace always, gail
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    They are all fantastic! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif My fav's are 5, 6, 12, followed by #10, the one with the snowman. What would have made that one really cute, would have been if the girls would have been wearing the same ear muffs and scarf as the snowman. I also liked #8 & 9 because of the clarity of the eyes! I just got the same lens that you used for these shots and can't wait to get out and give it a work out.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    #5, #6 and #14 are my favorites, but they are all really good.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    THANK YOU all for taking the time to comment! Your input is very appreciated. I was really wondering what shots stood out from this batch. I now have my answers :) You are all great!