Options

local gallery

rhoffartrhoffart Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 29, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I do a whole lot of lurking and very little posting. If you reply … thanks

My question; has anyone here ever shown his or her work in a local gallery? How was the experience? Was it hard to get in? Was it more satisfying then profitable, or both? Did you go through a dealer or just go to the gallery?
Now, I don’t expect a step by step guide, I just wanted to hear a touch about your experience. I live in a small town in Texas and the art scene is very popular showing “local artist”. As of now I just have a concept … nothing gallery worthy.

I’m in the dreaming stage wondering “internet smug mug sales” or “local gallery sales”.

Comments

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    In the small town that I live in, we have an Art Association & Art Gallery. For an annual fee, anyone can become a member, and schedule a showing. Some just display their work, while some will put a price tag on them in hopes of selling them. For photographers, they require prints to be 8x10 or larger, and matted. Having a showing at a gallery is a good way to get your name out there in your community, and to sell some prints, or to book some future shoots. I'm planning on joining our Art Association this spring.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I'm looking to open my own art gallery in my local small town, so I'm all for showing work in local galleries. You might also want to try selling your work to local businesses who want decor.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout