Options

Lisa and Jay's non-traditional New Orleans wedding

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Weddings
Sorry - had to delete it! If someone can pm me how to delete a whole post, that would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Great work! Beautiful ceremony shots. I am in love with that shot of the horse with the brides hand just reaching out.

Caroline
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2009
    Great work! Beautiful ceremony shots. I am in love with that shot of the horse with the brides hand just reaching out.

Caroline

Thank you! I have two other shots, before and after this one, but I think this is the most magical-looking of the three.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Wow! These are fantastic! Some really nice work!

For some strange reason I feel so proud of your work! Like... "She is getting so big! Look what she can do!"clap.gif Sick really.

Awesome handling of your dof with the trees in the background! You really minimized the antler look very well! #13 is such a cooool tree!

WAY TO GO! Home run for mariKris! Can't wait to see what you do next!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Sheesh....you really got immersed in our South Louisiana atmosphere with the locations!!!mwink.gif

...Congrats on a great set of photos....thumb.gif

My only suggestion would be to amp up the warmth a bit.....but then again....I lean to the warmer side of things....as a matter of taste.

...and seriously....next time you are a passin' through.....if you have time.....give me a shout. We could at least shoot each other for the "Dgrin Portrait Project".:D
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    You got some really beautiful shots here!! iloveyou.gif

If I may pick some favorites, it would be:

# (9 + 10) + 12 from the ceremony (Love how she looks at him & holds his head!!). Very, very nice
    #15 Nice pic for a flair thumb.gif
    #17 very cool too ... almost wish she would be touching her cigarette + looked over HER right shoulder though, would have been a nice old school classy pic thumb.gif
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Wow! These are fantastic! Some really nice work!

For some strange reason I feel so proud of your work! Like... "She is getting so big! Look what she can do!"clap.gif Sick really.

Awesome handling of your dof with the trees in the background! You really minimized the antler look very well! #13 is such a cooool tree!

WAY TO GO! Home run for mariKris! Can't wait to see what you do next!

What Heather said. Particularly love 5, 8 and 12.

GO Kris!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Hey!! Btw!!! I just discovered your "illustrations" & photo-website links ... WOW!! eek7.gif

We got a real artist here!! I have to say, I LOVE your illustrations & all your websites! Veeeeeery tastefully done, blog included! iloveyou.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    That first photo is one of the most frightening photos of 2009!

A bride on Red Bull! :D

Sam
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    beautiful!!
    Absolutely beautiful!!

Did you happen to ask about the history of Oak Alley while you were there? Long story short, when the owner's daughter got married, he imported spiders to make webs in all those branches and the night before her wedding, he pumped glitter into the webs so when she came down the alley in her horse drawn carriage she was welcomed by massive trees twinkling at her. Why couldn't my Daddy have done that? :)

Now that the history lesson is over, 12 and 14 are my faves, I just LOVE her dress, but I'm partial to red and white dresses. You nailed it when you said it was non-traditional :)

Glad you had fun in our Deep South! It definately keeps you on your toes, doesn't it?
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Great set! I feel like #15 is magical just with the way it turned out.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2009
    First, I want to say that you guys sure know how to make me feel good about myself! Which is as important to me as learning technique etc etc, because confidence is one of the main things I battle every day - and that goes for a lot of people too probably lol.

@heatherfeather and divamum - shucks, guys! Thank you so much! Hopefully the next one doesn't disappoint lol, but I have a lot of practicing to do before then!

@jeffreaux2
    - I promise, the next time I'm ever in the neighborhood I will hit you up! Promise.

@agniezka
    - I agree with you on #17. This is probably my luckiest shot of the day, just because the bride has told us to put away our cameras already so we could rest while going back to the hotel (we were supposed to be done by 5:30, but it was already 6:30), and I was able to chimp really quickly. I didn't expect any to turn out, so I'm happy it did. But once again, it told me that I need to know and be confident at how the image will turn out - that way I could have posed her first instead of shrugging and praying for luck....Oh oh oh, and thank you for checking out my links! I haven't been illustrating a lot. I'm even thinking about selling most of my art materials so I could buy a second body for tagging along on weddings lol. That would definitely be a sad day! And yet, I'd get a second body and be terrible happy. I'm so confused!

sam - you know, I was trying to figure out how come this group didn't get hungry. We were shooting all day, from 11AM to 7PM, and I went through 3 of my 5 power bars. Apparently, they had red bull all day. A few on their way from the hotel to Oak Alley, then they were mixing red bull with their champagne on the way from Oak Alley to the French Quarter, as you can see in this image. Pretty positive they had a couple more on our way back from Bourbon St to their hotel at the end of the night.

l.k. madison - Thank you, no I didn't know that particular part of the history! That's actually a lot more magical than what's printed on the back of their post card, which reads dryly of when Oak Alley was established. Hope you don't mind when I quote you on my blog! And yes, it sure kept me on my toes and fingertips and all else! I definitely know where to go if I ever want green, purple, orange and just crazy crazy lighting lol, with various people coming up to the bride to take a pic with them while the bride throws beads at passing trolleys and carriages. But everyone was sooo nice. The couple got serenaded and were told how lucky and beautiful they were by everyone, specially by the sloshed ones. What's not to love about Bourbon St :)

shima - Thank you! I totally agree. And the more I look at it, the more I even start to like that the groom is smack dab in the middle of the scene.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    l.k. madison - Thank you, no I didn't know that particular part of the history! That's actually a lot more magical than what's printed on the back of their post card, which reads dryly of when Oak Alley was established. Hope you don't mind when I quote you on my blog! And yes, it sure kept me on my toes and fingertips and all else! I definitely know where to go if I ever want green, purple, orange and just crazy crazy lighting lol, with various people coming up to the bride to take a pic with them while the bride throws beads at passing trolleys and carriages. But everyone was sooo nice. The couple got serenaded and were told how lucky and beautiful they were by everyone, specially by the sloshed ones. What's not to love about Bourbon St :)

haha, yeah, I'm surprised that none of the locals told you that story. I tried searching for it on Wiki, but it has no mention of it.

I'd be honored if you quoted me, actually! Of course, you got the 5 sentence version, but yeah, that's pretty much the story. :) Pretty sweet one if you ask me!

And if you ever want colors and/or weird traditions, New Orleans is definitely the place to go. We live just over an hour away and head down there every few months or so just for different shots, but weddings and funerals (which are often just as loud and colorful as weddings) are definitely fun to find.

Glad you had fun, but PLEASE tell me you had some of our great cuisine while down there! :)