Options

Moments to Remember

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited December 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
752254961_zCjvP-L.jpg

Will Davis, below, pointed out the intruding lamp base above that I had overlooked. So I have added the redone image below.

752745291_CJvkg-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Hi Jack......What a cute little girl........ That is a really nice shot...Jackclap.gif

azzaro
  • Options
    OhadOhad Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    What post-processing did you do?

Something happened to the child's eyes headscratch.gif , can you post the original?
    Ohad M. Somjen
    http://ohad.smugmug.com

My Equipment:
    * Nikon D200 + Grip
    * Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX, 50mm f/1.4 AF D
    * Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8D VR G-AFS ED-IF
    * 190XPROB Manfrotto Tripod & Cullmann 40300 Magnesit 3-Way Head Large
    * I use DXO Optics Pro and Film Pack for all processing, no CS involved!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Jack......What a cute little girl........ That is a really nice shot...Jackclap.gif

azzaro

Thanks Azzaro
    She is indeed a sweetheart.

Jack
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Ohad wrote:
    What post-processing did you do?

Something happened to the child's eyes headscratch.gif , can you post the original?

In the original photo, I used bounce flash and unfortunately the areas around the eyes were in shadow which was exacerbated in the BW conversion. I dodged them a bit in PP. If you are referring to the fact that in my originally posted image one eye was much darker than the other, I have fixed that as best as I could now.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Jack
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    You have captured the nature of a young child, full of wonder and innocence. Nice job!
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Jack!
    Lovely to see you here.

I like that you captured the adult (mom) interacting with the little one. I like the look on her little face and her clasped hands---
    This leaves me scratching my head though--are those her legs draped on the back of the couch? Looks painfully impossible.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    You have captured the nature of a young child, full of wonder and innocence. Nice job!

Thank you very much rainbow.

Jack
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Cute kid, nice picture, great B&W, but…

…the frame is split by the body of the woman. All the interest is in the lower right corner. I think I would have framed differently, or even cropped…

The only interesting thing in the LH side is the picture on the sideboard, but has nothing to do with the main picture.

I'm worried about the body of the lamp (?) - looks like the handle of a dagger which someone has just plunged into the woman's back… eek7.gif

I agree with Lizzard re. the long leggies…

Thanks for sharing… thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Jack!
    Lovely to see you here.

I like that you captured the adult (mom) interacting with the little one. I like the look on her little face and her clasped hands---
    This leaves me scratching my head though--are those her legs draped on the back of the couch? Looks painfully impossible.

rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Liz
    Yes she does get into some positions that I sure couldn't. She is bent backwards at the waist and is very tall and athletic.

Jack
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Cute kid, nice picture, great B&W, but…

…the frame is split by the body of the woman. All the interest is in the lower right corner. I think I would have framed differently, or even cropped…

For reasons stated below, I wanted to include the small picture in the background. As for framing differently, I shot this from a narrow hallway which did not allow much leeway in framing. "You take what you can get in the moment"
    Wil Davis wrote:
    The only interesting thing in the LH side is the picture on the sideboard, but has nothing to do with the main picture.

I think you dismiss that picture too quickly. This is about Precious Moments. The woman on the couch is the little girl's grandmother, and my wife. The picture in the back was taken moments after we exchanged our wedding vows and represents a precious moment for us. Even not knowing that fact I think most would see that picture as evocative of a precious moment for the subjects. But maybe not as no one has yet drawn that connection headscratch.gif
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I'm worried about the body of the lamp (?) - looks like the handle of a dagger which someone has just plunged into the woman's back… eek7.gif
    I've removed the lamp and posted the result in the OP. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I agree with Lizzard re. the long leggies…

Thanks for sharing… thumb.gif

- Wil[/QUOTE]

Jack
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    snip…
    I think you dismiss that picture too quickly. This is about Precious Moments. The woman on the couch is the little girl's grandmother, and my wife. The picture in the back was taken moments after we exchanged our wedding vows and represents a precious moment for us. Even not knowing that fact I think most would see that picture as evocative of a precious moment for the subjects. But maybe not as no one has yet drawn that connection headscratch.gif
    …snip

Ah! OK, my bad! You know I had a fleeting thought that the picture in the background was in some way relevant, and then spotted the legs, and when I got back to the framing, I thought about the main focus seemed to be on the two faces. Valid point and my apologies for being somewhat hasty…

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Just seen your amended version! Ah, looks more tied in! Nice job! thumb.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau