Options

Can anyone suggest a decent Wide Angle Zoom?

kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited January 16, 2010 in Cameras
I'm looking around for a reasonably priced (trying not to go past the $500 USD mark) wide-angle lens that will work on a Canon 30D (crop sensor). I'm aiming for a zoom wide angle that works somewhere in the 12-30mm range (not exactly, but somewhere close to that).

I am looking for mainly something for landscape photography.

I would like to avoid buying brand new since prices tend to be a little outrageous. I was looking at a discontinued Sigma 15-30mm which seemed to have positive reviews, but then I read it did not have the ability to place filters on the lends (apparently there are way around this).

There are some nice Canon ones but unfortunately they are a little tough on the wallet.

Thanks!
A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com

Comments

• Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    A used Canon 17-40 F/4L would fit the bill. You can find them anywhere from $500-$650 used, they are great for landscape work. Probably my favorite landscape lens - though I don't own many landscape lenses, I'll admit.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks Lisa.

What about the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. This one will not work on full frame, but I don't have any plans to upgrade in the near future. I think that better fits the range I am looking for (I have a Sigma 18-135mm, albeit it is a rather low end lens I got when I first bought my 30D).
    A work in progress...

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    The Canon 17-40 isn't really a wide angle unless you are shooting full-frame like Lisa.

I am happy with my Canon 10-22 on my 50D (also a crop camera). I bought it for casual landscape work ("Oh, look at that beautiful sunrise/sunset.") while waiting for birds at Viera.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    kcui wrote:
    Thanks Lisa.

What about the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. This one will not work on full frame, but I don't have any plans to upgrade in the near future. I think that better fits the range I am looking for (I have a Sigma 18-135mm, albeit it is a rather low end lens I got when I first bought my 30D).

the 10-22 is the first one I thought of but it is way over your budget, I was looking for a used one for a long time and never found it even used for under $500.

You might want to look at the Tamron version, 12-24 I think, though the glass isn't as fast. I can't think of the price right now though, but you can always check around.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks again Lisa. If the price / quality ratio is right I would be willing to splurge a little, perhaps to the $600 USD mark.

Incidentally I stumbled across this:
    Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX

A quip:
    The Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is currently the best ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Canon EOS APS-C DSLRs. The resolution is impressively high throughout the zoom range (albeit a short one) and across the image field. Vignetting is really only a problem at 11mm @ f/2.8 but otherwise the issue is very well controlled. The level of distortions is comparatively low. Typical for most Tokina lenses it has one weakness: lateral CAs which are very high at all settings. The build quality is on a very high level and its a joy to handle the lens out there. All-in-all a very sound package especially when considering the quite affordable price (around 600EUR/US$).

I will give the Tamron a looksie as well.

Thanks again.
    A work in progress...

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    For an APS-C camera, at the budget you specified, I think the best wide-angle zoom is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 (model AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II). There is also a somewhat more expensive Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 model that is said to be even better, but I haven't used it. I had the 12-24mm f/4 for a while and was very pleased with it. I sold it when I moved up to full-frame.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks Craig, the 12-24 seemed to get positive reviews as well. I'll consider that one.
    A work in progress...

• Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Both Tamrons are generally well regarded. The Canon 10-22 is also one to consider. Don't forget you can always rent before you buy as well.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited December 30, 2009
    All of the following are contenders:

Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 10-20mm, F/3.5 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4.0 PRO DX
    Tamron 11-18mm, f/4.5-5.6 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Canon EF-S 10-22mm, f/3.5-4.5 USM

The Sigma 10-20mm, F/3.5 and Canon are priciest but the rest are reasonably good and I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM with no intentions to upgrade. My copy is slightly soft wide open and shows a very slight decentering, but nothing that stops my use of the lens.

The Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 will also safely mount on the Canon APS-H (crop 1.3x) and FF cameras, with the usual vignetting. A 5D MKII will yield around 8 MPix crop in a 4x6 aspect and nearly 10MPix crop in 8x10 aspect. (The longer focal lengths do less vignetting as well.)

A lot of these above lenses show up used on KEH, Adorama and B&H.

These were shot with my Sigma 10-20mm (all these on crop 1.6x cameras):

753213583_xagaS-O.jpg

584919541_vQFmE-L.jpg

258640093_M8DVn-XL.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    kcui wrote:
    Thanks again Lisa. If the price / quality ratio is right I would be willing to splurge a little, perhaps to the $600 USD mark.

Incidentally I stumbled across this:
    Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX

A quip:

I will give the Tamron a looksie as well.

Thanks again.

I have the Tokina 11-16mm and like it. It's the only WAL I have experience with though. It seems to be the hardest to find in stock...not sure if that indicates how awesome it is or just low supply from the manufacturer. mwink.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    Mr. FrogMr. Frog Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    I'm also buying a wide-angle lens soon!

My choice is done, I'll buy the Tokina 11-16mm! I read excellent reviews of it!
    I found this website comparing different Wide-Angle lenses:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/chart.htm

The only problem is that it's almost backorder everywhere, in stores and on the internet! I was speaking with a sales person in a photo store last week and he was telling my that Tokina has a big problem maintaining supplies!

And the places that have it in stock sell it for 100-150$ more!
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Mr. Frog wrote:

The only problem is that it's almost backorder everywhere, in stores and on the internet! I was speaking with a sales person in a photo store last week and he was telling my that Tokina has a big problem maintaining supplies!

I put my email into the notification list on B&H, but ended up buying mine locally (same price as everywhere else, but plus tax). Of course, the next day B&H emailed me saying they had it in stock. lol That was over summer though.

I think it's well worth the money though. Very sharp lens. I was about 6 inches in front of the snout of this beast for the pic below...haha.

672710367_r2Zts-X2.jpg
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    With a $500 price point, I'd recommend looking at two lenses in particular, the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 and the Tokina 12-24mm f4 II.

I've had the Sigma and the first generation of the Tokina 12-24. I hear that the second generation of the Tokina has a new coating, if the coating is like that found in the Tokina 11-16mm (also had two) it should be very good at addressing the common complaint about the CA that is seen in the tokina 12-24mm.

The Sigma is more compact and lighter, has a quieter HSM AF with full time MF ability. It is wider and does not vignette when using a regular polarizer. At 10mm it's relatively distortion free till you get to the edge of the image where there is strong distortion. I actually prefer this as the center is relatively distortion free.

The Tokina feels very tough and it's big. If will vignette if you use a regular thickness polarizer. It's distortion is more uniform and unlike the Sigma which has a slightly warmer color cast than Canon, tokes have a slightly cooler cast (which I actually prefer). The tokinas feel a touch sharper than the sigma and with the new coating, I'd expect this to be more so.

Comparing the older tokina 12-24 to the sigma, I preferred the sigma for it's more compact design, quieter AF, and ability to use regular thickness polarizers. But if the CA issue of the tokina is addressed, I may prefer the second generation of the Tokina for it's build feel, constant f4, better image quality (I'm assuming here), and cooler color cast.

Good luck.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    I hear that the second generation of the Tokina has a new coating, if the coating is like that found in the Tokina 11-16mm (also had two) it should be very good at addressing the common complaint about the CA that is seen in the tokina 12-24mm.

I've never heard of a lens coating that corrects CA. Usually the purpose of coatings is to reduce reflections and balance color tinting.

The CA problems of Tokina lenses are overrated, in my experience. They do have more CA than the better Canon lenses, but in the models I've used it's really not that significant.
    Tee Why wrote:
    The Tokina... will vignette if you use a regular thickness polarizer.

This was never my experience with the Tokina 12-24mm f/4. I use the same standard-thickness 77mm CPL on all my lenses that take 77mm filters, and I don't see significant vignetting on the CPL shots I took on that lens.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    A used Canon 17-40 F/4L would fit the bill. You can find them anywhere from $500-$650 used, they are great for landscape work. Probably my favorite landscape lens - though I don't own many landscape lenses, I'll admit.

SIGMA 12-24 FROM $500 UP

SIGMA 10-20 FROM 499 UP

SIGMA 17-70
    FROM 370 UP

personally I use a point and shoot prosumer camera for my landscaping....KONICA MINOLTA A2 8MP and great german glass....lens is a 28-200 zoom and Minolta made a set of wider angle and a tele screw on lenses for their p/s quite expensive at ~~$150+ per lens..................it has been great but the smallest aperture is 11 and that could be problem is shooting waterfalls or running creeks that you want to actually stop the water....it can be fixed with a neutral density filter though.................it beats lugging my D300's around for landscapes and i have sold several prints off it.....I plan on getting another when this one is worn out (if I can find a low shutter count one then...if not I'll start looking at canon p/s or oly 4/3 cams.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I echo Tee Why's comments about the Sigma 10-20 f/4.5. I bought it this fall, based on recommendations from Ziggy and Art. I'm very happy with the results, although I don't use it as much as I thought I would. That's really a function of where I am and not the gear. I don't have a lot of wide landscape opportunities on a regular basis, but I did use it on a couple of trips and was very happy. It is definitely light and easy to work with. I find a bit more vignetting than Tee Why seems to, but that may be something I am doing or maybe the type of polarizer I have (?). I do agree that the center of the image is always straight and true to what I saw in person. I think it was an excellent purchase.

I considered the Tokina 11-16 but opted for the Sigma after reading the suggestions in this thread. I also picked up a 17-50 f2.8 at the same time, so I have a great range for wide landscapes.

Good luck with your shopping! I hope you'll show us some results once you make your purchase.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Mr. Frog wrote:
    Oops! The Chuck Norris of photography. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

I'm also a fan of the Sigma 10-20 4-5.6

405785513_yFA6L-M.jpg

399161938_dxveu-M.jpg
  • Options
    ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Mr. Frog wrote:

I just purchased the Tokina in the DX II configuration for th Nikon D60 from Adorama at the best price I could find.
    Nick
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the comments, I think I'm going to wait and save up for the Tokina 11-16, it sound like it's worth the price and the wide aperture is very attractive.
    A work in progress...

• Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    kcui wrote:
    Thanks Lisa.

Good Evening,
    This lens will work on a full frame camera, if you know how to modify it mwink.gif The attached picture was taken with my old 5d and 10-22 at 13mm. I use it on my 1d mk3 now. I may buy another 5d because I really miss the ultra wide angle :cry
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    ilandiland Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2010
    As someone who had both the Canon EF-S 10-22 and the Tokina AF 11-16, you can take a look at my signature and see which one I kept. I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    ippoicippoic Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2010
    iland wrote:
    As someone who had both the Canon EF-S 10-22 and the Tokina AF 11-16, you can take a look at my signature and see which one I kept. I highly recommend it.

For those of you that regularly shoot with UWA lenses, do you guys use circular polarizers or are the effects to uneven at such wide angles?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 16, 2010
    ippoic wrote:
    For those of you that regularly shoot with UWA lenses, do you guys use circular polarizers or are the effects to uneven at such wide angles?

Yes, sky effects are uneven. I would recommend polarizers on a super-wide lens mostly for the control of specular reflections, if needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums