Options

Google is my paycheck!

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Weddings
Well, I'm just excited about this and had to tell you guys. I just got back from a meeting with a couple about shooting their wedding in June.

First off, they hired me :ivar. Secondly, it will be my second wedding as primary, and my first paying wedding :barb. Thirdly, they found me on Google... from Canada?! :scratch:huh:clap

He is from Canada, she is from a Durand, WI which is near Eau Claire. I guess he googled for "Eau Claire, WI Wedding Photographers" and I was one of the top ones to show up.

They liked my Bio alot... specifically this line, "I love shooting people… … … ok so different wording. I love capturing the little moments that make us smile, and the bigger moments that we will remember for the rest of our lives."

And they liked my Portfolio more than the pros in the area? That caught me off guard...

Their E-Shoot is on Jan. 2nd, so hopefully it goes as well as my e-shoot on Monday did... minus the pitch blackness. Although I do have to deal with snow now that I'm in Wisconsin.... :cry

---

Anyone have opportunities like this happen to them? Meaning, the least likely person to find you as a photographer finds you on google and hires you?
Jer

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Haha. Awesome! Congrats!! wings.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    thumb.gif Sweet! Go Jeremy!:D
  • Options
    StevemacStevemac Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
  • Options
    BradleybhikingBradleybhiking Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2009
    You're Hired! Ultra Cool
    There is nothing quite like being told the client wants you. Gratifying and at the same time challenging! It confirms you are on the right track.

What did you show them to get hired - only the images found on your website?

I bow to you. bowdown.gif

Congratulations.
    Brad
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Thanks Agnieszka, Heather, and Steve! I've had such a good week so far. I'm not sure if its a sign that I should stay in Eau Claire forever, but ever since I moved back home from Indiana I've had nothing but good news come my way.

Got hired for this wedding, might be second shooting for a local pro, might have a better part time/full time job coming my way (Graphic Designer and coder for a web design company), watched the best movie I have ever seen (Avatar is amazing! I saw it Thursday at midnight. Definitely worth the 15 years it took to make it!), and my studio lights (AB800's) will be here on Wednesday... And next week is Christmas! so I'm in a really good mood. wings.gif
    There is nothing quite like being told the client wants you. Gratifying and at the same time challenging! It confirms you are on the right track.

What did you show them to get hired - only the images found on your website?

I bow to you. bowdown.gif

Congratulations.
    Brad
    Welcome to Dgrin Brad!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I was hired before I even went to meet with them. That, or I'm a really good salesman! The meeting went oh so smoothly, and I'm very glad that it did.

All I showed them was my portfolio work that is accessible through my website. And made it clear that I was confident with my abilities as a photographer. I let them know that I haven't actually shot any weddings before as a primary, but that I will have my first on May 8th... and they said they're ok with that. He actually said that his buddy had a guy that was just starting out shoot his wedding, and the pictures turned out amazing. So they were open to a noob like myself :D
    Jer
  • Options
    trevortrevor Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Ah, the power of the Google. thumb.gif
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    clap.gif Congratulations! Do you have a Google ad or are you just awesome at SEO? (I'm not getting hit by Google much yet..)
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Mox wrote:
    clap.gif Congratulations! Do you have a Google ad or are you just awesome at SEO? (I'm not getting hit by Google much yet..)

No, I don't do any advertising. I guess I'm just secretly amazing at SEO.
    Jer
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    sweet thumb.gif
  • Options
    TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I cant find myself on google. How do yall set that up, I thought it was suppose to being with smug but isnt workin.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    TNTATC wrote:
    I cant find myself on google. How do yall set that up, I thought it was suppose to being with smug but isnt workin.

One thing that I did, was I created a business listing on Google... its free, and when they search for "Eau Claire, WI (Wedding, Senior, portrait) photographer" my name pop's up along with the other photographer's in the area. clap.gif

How high you get in the ranks depends on how many people visit your site compared to the others (at least I think thats how it works). rolleyes1.gif

Start with the business listing. That will help. I googled for "teston photography" and you came up... So google does know you're there... The more information on your site, the more stuff google has to list. mwink.gif

I recommend buying a domain name. ie "testonphotography.com" and use that custom domain for your smugmug. Also alot of your links in your navigation lead to nothing... finish your site, then worry about being found thumb.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    TNTATC wrote:

I find it is far easier to get listed on google local than the main google. On of the big things with google is external links. postings here with your url in the sig seems to help. Of course, doing the same on other photography forms helps as well. the external links need to be related to photography.
  • Options
    philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I've not had it from Google, but I had it from a DVD I did. I gave it the last person I photogrphed, and they gave it someone else who wanted some pictures of their newborn, and, apparently, the mother took one look at the DVD and said: "he's the one."
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2009
    philx123 wrote:
    I've not had it from Google, but I had it from a DVD I did. I gave it the last person I photogrphed, and they gave it someone else who wanted some pictures of their newborn, and, apparently, the mother took one look at the DVD and said: "he's the one."
    clap.gifNice!
    Jer
  • Options
    philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    clap.gifNice!

Thanks for that. I'm busy trying to drum up work, so hopefully it won;t be the last such post ;)
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    haha... so get this...

In the mail today I got a letter from Google.

Apparently between July 1st, and September 30th, Google users found my business listing 1221 times, and asked for driving directions or other information about my business 146 times.

I am a Favorite Place on Google now... They sent me a sticker to put in a window... it has a special barcode on it that people can "scan with cameras on their phones. Then they can see your business listing on Google, read and write reviews, and add you as a Favorite Place on Google"....

out of all those views... only generated one "sale"... but still, better than nothing!

Anyone else receive one of these stickers? or should I hold my head up high and feel special? :D
    Jer
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Huge Congrats! clap.gif
    Go for it! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Huge Congrats! clap.gif
    Go for it! thumb.gif

:ivar:ivar:ivarwings.gifbarbwings.gifbarbwings.gifivar:ivar:ivar
    Jer
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    One thing that I did, was I created a business listing on Google... its free,

I cannot believe I had overlooked doing this.......

Thanks Jeremy for waking me upthumb.gifthumb:ivarwings.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I cannot believe I had overlooked doing this.......

Thanks Jeremy for waking me upthumb.gifthumb:ivarwings.gifbowbowdown.gif

You're welcome!

Most people looking for a photographer search google first... then they go to the phonebook (my next step)... then they ask friends if they know anyone... and then they google and look in the phone book for people that were recommended.... so it is vital that you get onto google at minimum.
    Jer
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    yay!!!! Yeah I had an esession from someone in NY that found me on google. gotta love it!