Options

Canon Powershot S50

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited May 18, 2004 in Cameras
Looking at the S50 vs a S500. I have seen the reviews, but no one has commented on either here. I like to mostly point and shoot, but got accustom to the picture clarity of film. I think I would lean towards the S50, but have never seen one in person. Everyone has the Elf types in stock, but I have not seen the S50 in person.

I have an Elf SD100 now and like the size and functionality, but think the photos are poor quality, even in 4X6 sizes. I probably wont go much bigger, just want the clarity.

Comments?

Z

PS: Sorry I cross posted this to the serious gear page, I 'm a newbie - be gentle!
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited May 10, 2004
    Zanotti wrote:
    Looking at the S50
    Comments?

Z

PS: Sorry I cross posted this to the serious gear page, I 'm a newbie - be gentle!
    Ok, I like my S50. I carry it most of the time I'm on the bike. Here are some
    sample images:

3266111-M.jpg

3549416-M.jpg

2028101-M.jpg

Personally, I am happy with the degree of control I have with the camera.
    If you just want to P & S, it may be overkill and something like the S400/500
    would be the bomb.

Check out www.dpreview.com for additional reviews of the cameras
    mentioned here.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2004
    According to dpreview.com, Canon announced the S50's replacement today (the new one is the S60). You might be able to get a better deal on an S50 as a result...unless you prefer the newer version.

I didn't check to see if there's also an S600 to bump off the S500 and really make a mess of your search. :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    FWIW, I made this with an S50.

3891269-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    Photo
    What a strange conicidence - I went to Georgia Tech, graduated in 1979 - Chem E!

There was a Canon rep at the photo store today. Somehow I knew about as much as he did from reading the web sites! It seems that the S50 is as scarce as hens teeth to find now and the new s60 isnt out until fall. I liked the A75 better than the A80, wish there was an A85! I am actually thinking about either an S500 or a Pro 1 - what a diffenent idea I know, but I want sharp pics.

I showed him my S100 and he agreed that the pics werent sharp. Of course the photos they show there are so perfect that they are probably not acheivable by mere mortals.....
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2004
    The Pro 1 sounds like an excellent cam. But if you go that route, you should give serious consideration to the Sony f828. Reviewers rave about it. Check out www.dpreview for a comparison test of the new 8mps. I haven't held either one, myself.

I'd think that you might want to skip the S500. I'm suspect it's not very good in low light.

If you're still interested in the S50, Patch29 might have one, in tip top shape, that he's willing to sell. It's the one I used to make that shot. He babies his gear. If you're interested, PM him tonight, he's heading out of town tomorrow.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    If you're still interested in the S50, Patch29 might have one, in tip top shape, that he's willing to sell. It's the one I used to make that shot. He babies his gear. If you're interested, PM him tonight, he's heading out of town tomorrow.

Make that had one. It became part of a new deal I am working on. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2004
    Big on Blue
    Using my SD100!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2004
    Cute!
    Sid.
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2004
    Zanotti wrote:
    I am actually thinking about either an S500 or a Pro 1 - what a diffenent idea I know, but I want sharp pics.

CNET's review of the Pro-1 listed some pretty serious drawbacks: "Slow autofocus; worse than average shutter delay; crummy manual exposure-metering display..."

You can see their full review at: http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_PowerShot_Pro1/4505-6501_7-30732120.html?tag=prmo1

Of course, do your own homework before cracking open the wallet.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    Ordered an S1
    Thanks all for the help, advice and counsel. I took the plunge and bought a new S1! I thought that it had the best all around features for me. I wish it was 5mp rather than 3.2, but I rarely go above 4X6 anyway.

Interesting that the best price was on Amazon - $439......

It should be here end of the week, I post a few shots and you guys can tell me how sharp it looks. Now if I could just afford one of those 2gb microdrives to put in it!!!

Z
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2004
    Congratulations! patch29 got an S1, let me take a few shots with it. Cool camera. Love that big zoom and Image Stabilization. It makes nice shots in indoor light, too. Patch posted some shots from the subway here, and they looked terrific.
    Sid.