Options

Nyc

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hello friends, I've been quite for a bit. Here are some of my latest street. C&C welcomed.

#1 To cross or not to cross, that is the question
753602207_oD9P9-L.jpg

#2 Cutting corners
753602290_PjcBa-L.jpg

#3 Multitasking
753602390_vPgjL-L.jpg

#4 Lost in the Big Apple
753602457_cwjch-L.jpg

#5 Home of the sharks...
753602507_y7kXd-L.jpg

Thanks.
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I really like the last one. The others don't seem very expressive to me, particularly the shots from behind (#1, #3), which have a sort of sneaking quality, as if you were afraid to get caught taking the person's picture. But #5, with that colorful (but partly desaturated so as not to stand out TOO much) flag waving against the backdrop of gray rectilinear forms, is very nice.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I really like #5 as well the other ones don't seem to have a whole lot of center of attention to me.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Sadly, I agree with both of you for the most part. Unfortunately, street shooting in NYC is not as easy as it could be in other places. But what exactly is Street photography? By definition, it's a type of documentary photography that features subjects in candid situations within public places.

My titles weren't the best, I wasn't really thinking last night. But for #1, there was a little more than I led to believe in the one photo. The gentelman in the frame was trying to hail a yellow taxi. He was at the corner for several minutes and taxis with no passengers wouldn't stop for him. In this day and age, racial profiling is still a problem. I could have included a few photos of him with his arm up and a the taxis not stopping, but when I realised what was going on, he gave up and crossed the street.

#2 was a missed shot, and shoudln't have even been included, the moment happend as I checked my phone when she (the scooter diver) didn't yeild to the pedestrians on her turn. But from the photo, you can see she's already well into her turn while the pedestrians are crossing the street.

#3 I can't understand how that's not interesting. She's doing two things against the environment in that photo. Smoking and wearing fur.

#4 Is interesting to me because they look genuinely lost. I only wish I could have exposed for the map in her hands properly as well as the two subjects. But, without the intruduction of artificial light, my camera just doesn't have that tonal range. I thought the confusion in their faces, the position thier bodies were in, the giant backpack on his back, and the unlit cigarette portrayed the feeling I was trying to capture. Out of all of them, I was proud of this one the most. But as they say, if you have to expalin too much, then you didn't achieve your goal.

A title is just as important as the capture. That's the lesson I learned today. I've seen many incredible street photography here on dgrin, shooting your friend in a diner, or people you know that will pose for you and such, is not street photography. Practice makes perfect, and sadly, I haven't really been out there. Last street I shot was locally here in the summer.

If you were shooting the same exact subjects, what would you have done to make the photographs better?
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...