Options

How to make collage using Photoshop

crodier66crodier66 Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Finishing School
I have Adope Photoshop 7.0 and would like to make a collage with a background. I can not seem to find good instructions on how to do this. Can anyone please assist me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Technically it's pretty simple, but labor intensive.

Basically you start with your background image and add other images as layers. Then mask out the portions of the images you don't want to see. Consider each layer an image element. After you have extracted and / or masked your layers then start arranging the layers for composition. Also note you will probably need to adjust white balance and exposure of the layers to match each other.

Here is an example I recently did. This has (I think) about 15 layers.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Technically it's pretty simple, but labor intensive.

Basically you start with your background image and add other images as layers. Then mask out the portions of the images you don't want to see. Consider each layer an image element. After you have extracted and / or masked your layers then start arranging the layers for composition. Also note you will probably need to adjust white balance and exposure of the layers to match each other.

Here is an example I recently did. This has (I think) about 15 layers.

Sam

Sam,

Do you recommend any sites for cool sports backgrounds?

Thank you,

Chris
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    I have done over 200 sports montages and 90% have been from a very similar background and technique. http://www.kcrow.com/photography/montage/
    I basically use a photoshop cloud filter background using the 2 primary colors of the school. I put a helmet and football in the background and made them semi-transparent. You could also use jerseys and or cleats incorporated into the background using transparency to make it more subtle.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    kwcrow wrote:
    I have done over 200 sports montages and 90% have been from a very similar background and technique. http://www.kcrow.com/photography/montage/
    I basically use a photoshop cloud filter background using the 2 primary colors of the school. I put a helmet and football in the background and made them semi-transparent. You could also use jerseys and or cleats incorporated into the background using transparency to make it more subtle.

Thank you. What is the best way to change the background color?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    If you have a pattern already, but want different colors, you could use the channel mixer in photoshop, or lightroom, or ACR on that image. I use the cloud filter in photoshop to do most of my backgrounds. Then you can pick the colors that you want, before you render it. There is software out there to do digital backdrops for photographers, that you could look into. Google "digital backdrops".
    -Kevin
    crodier66 wrote:
    Thank you. What is the best way to change the background color?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    kwcrow wrote:
    If you have a pattern already, but want different colors, you could use the channel mixer in photoshop, or lightroom, or ACR on that image. I use the cloud filter in photoshop to do most of my backgrounds. Then you can pick the colors that you want, before you render it. There is software out there to do digital backdrops for photographers, that you could look into. Google "digital backdrops".
    -Kevin

Thanks Kevin! Have a Happy and Safe New Year!