Options

R/C Aerial Photography

TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 1, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
One of my hobbies is building and flying R/C model aircraft. I recently purchased an R/C platform specifically designed for Aerial Photography, called the Hawkeye. It's nothing more than an electric motor powered hang glider looking thing. I have an older Canon A640 PowerShot attached to it that is controlled via a USB controller recieving a signal from my transmitter. Every time I flip a switch, it takes a shot. I also have tilt control between just below the horizon to about 55-60 degrees below the horizon. I can also mount the camera to shoot straight down if I so desire. I'm still getting used to flying it and aiming the airplane toward my subject (I'm shooting blind, which means a lot of culling). Todays weather is perfect. I've been out once and now my batteries are charging, but I'll be going out again within the hour.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Another from today...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    That second shot is great!

As soon as Das Fatherland Security finds out about this you will need to register your planes and keep them in a lock box. :D

Sam
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Very cool perspective from up high. What kind of cost are we looking at with a rig such as yours?

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Very cool.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited January 1, 2010
    Very nice! I like the second and can see how that might be a money maker for you.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I still have to learn marketing myself. As far as costs, initially it'll be higher for someone just getting into R/C. It's been one of my hobbies for the past 20 years. Typically you're looking at:

Transmitter/Reciever Combo: $300-$500

Batteries for the Airplane, and Chargers: $150-$225

Hawkeye (Ready To Fly) Portable Aerial Platform (http://www.electricflights.com/): $354-$394

And a Suitable Camera: I bought a used Canon A640 off EBay for around $225. The newer digital P&S cameras are using electronic IS, but a lot of other R/C Aerial Photogs are saying that they are counter-intuitive for this work as they can't keep up with the higher frequency vibrations (though you shouldn't have any vibes if you shoot during the glide).

The Hawkeye is the easiest thing you'll find to fly. It was designed with a beginner in mind (Go to the site and see the video). Increase the throttle and it climbs. Shut down the throttle, and it glides. Move the rudder to the left, it turns left, move it to the right, it turns right. The Hawkeye does have some drawbacks though. It's light weight and wingloading doesn't suit it to higher winds. It'll get downwind and can't penetrate to get back to you. It also can't carry too much weight (although there is now a CG Shift modification that does increase the payload slightly).

I actually have (yet to be built) another designers kit that will carry my (older) DSLR. That design is a more conventional-looking airplane which requires a little more piloting skill. Not only will it carry my DSLR, but it will carry enough payload for me to add a video downlink so I can compose each shot in the air instead of shooting blind.

I wanted to go out this morning to re-shoot the Mobile skyline, but the winds were too strong, so I'll try again tomorrow. Yesterday afternoon though, I did go to a different location near my apartment and got some more shots.