Original?
753898086_cs8J3-L-2.jpg

Or Cropped?
754000054_7b5WH-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    Unless the crop is really subtle, I think I'm looking at identical pics. lol3.gif Check your links. deal.gif
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Thanks! I re-uploaded the original and cropped outside of SmugMug this time.
  • Options
    phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    In the uncropped shot my eye is immediately drawn to the yellow bucket, so losing it is probably a good thing. The problem is, in the cropped shot I don't know where and what I'm supposed to be looking at. Sorry, but I really don't get it.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Thanks for the comment, phillybikeboy! I was drawn to the little girl. Perhaps closer is better, but I thought the context contributed.

Here are a couple of others. Are these any better or do they still leave you cold?

753999767_qMYrq-L.jpg

753999982_CKqc8-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, phillybikeboy! I was drawn to the little girl. Perhaps closer is better, but I thought the context contributed.

I suspected that was the case, but the big guy scratching his head in the foreground throws the whole thing off. My first inclination is to think there is some connection between him and the little girl that I'm just not seeing.
    wrote:
    Here are a couple of others. Are these any better or do they still leave you cold?

Kind of. You're right, the context contributes quite a bit. If you had the wide shot, without the guy in the foreground, it would work better.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Then, does this one work?

754138217_ZkM32-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2010
    Much better.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote:

These two are much better than the first image you offered. The problem with the first one, whether cropped or not, is that there are too many competing bright colors, and the little girl is too far off. Here we really see her, and are forced to think about who and what she is and what she's doing.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed