Options

Union Station

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited July 1, 2005 in Holy Macro
I posted an image in "whipping post" for your comments and critique... here are a few variations which I'd appreciate your comments on. Thank you.

( http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=14167 )

#1: Original, slight curves adjustment

26581625-L.jpg

#2: BW conversion

26581626-L.jpg

#3: Pastel effect

26581622-L.jpg

#4: Noise added

26581627-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    The first one does it for me Angelo. thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    #1 one Angelo
    little dark on my windows monitor. Will look again on my Mac tonight.
    But what happened to all the people, they close down just for you or you scare em all off :lol :lol4 :hide
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    The first one does it for me Angelo. thumb.gif
    AJ
    Thanks AJ.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    #1 one Angelo
    little dark on my windows monitor. Will look again on my Mac tonight.
    But what happened to all the people, they close down just for you or you scare em all off :lol :lol4 :hide

I whip out that D70 and everyone ducks for cover! rolleyes1.gif

This is the orignal 1925 ticket counter section of the station. Following restoration a few years back it is now reserved for civic receptions and private parties.

It is perhaps a bit on the dark side but it appears (on my monitor) as it did in person so I was trying to keep that realism. Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    I like the color alot Angelo and if you add grain to the BW I would like that too. The other PS'd two yuck in my opinion :-)

I can't believe that other photographer stole your idea..
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Agelo
    I like #3 best cool windows wonder how it would look if just the windows and reflections were pastel effect ne_nau.gif

26581622-L.jpg

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I like the color alot Angelo and if you add grain to the BW I would like that too. The other PS'd two yuck in my opinion :-)
    I can't believe that other photographer stole your idea..
    Hey Eric, thanks for looking. Here's a grainy BW version:
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey Eric, thanks for looking. Here's a grainy BW version:
    Hey Angelo this is what I had in mind..
    what do you think?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    I like #3 best cool windows wonder how it would look if just the windows and reflections were pastel effect ne_nau.gif
    Thanks
    Fred
    Hey Fred, thanks for looking and commenting. You have an interesting idea but I think I'll have to do a lot more practicing before I can accomplish that technique well enough to dare post it here :D
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Agelo
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey Fred, thanks for looking and commenting. You have an interesting idea but I think I'll have to do a lot more practicing before I can accomplish that technique well enough to dare post it here :D
    This should be pretty easy (photoshop or paint shop pro)
    It's all done in layers

Open your pastel shot
    Open your normal shot
    Add a layer to the pastel shot
    Copy and paste your normal shot to the pastel shot
    Then just erase over the windows make sure your are on the normal shot layer
    Thats it

Fred
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    Hey Angelo - I like the first two (especially the color). I'm not feeling anything for the other variations.

I'd crop just a tad off the right side to get rid of the bright spot where there's another window just off frame. Kind of distracting.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Hey Angelo this is what I had in mind..
    what do you think?
    Erich - I appreciate the attempt but I don't really see much effect. Perhaps it's my monitor (?)

Can I assume you think my "noise" is too evident? I think I can adjust the density and/or size of the "specks".
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Erich - I appreciate the attempt but I don't really see much effect. Perhaps it's my monitor (?)

Can I assume you think my "noise" is too evident? I think I can adjust the density and/or size of the "specks".
    Yes Angelo, I think you can make the grain much more subtle. I was going for the grainy look you see when using Bw film. What do I know anyway? It's fun trying tho...
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    Thanks again Fred... reading your tutorial only proves how much I have to learn. What you see as easy I don't even understand :D I still have to learn how to add layers. I'm still trying to figure out how to open two images in one file for overlays. I work in Corel's Photopaint. Thanks again for sharing ideas and advice.

USAIR wrote:
    This should be pretty easy (photoshop or paint shop pro)
    It's all done in layers

Open your pastel shot
    Open your normal shot
    Add a layer to the pastel shot
    Copy and paste your normal shot to the pastel shot
    Then just erase over the windows make sure your are on the normal shot layer
    Thats it

Fred
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Yes Angelo, I think you can make the grain much more subtle. I was going for the grainy look you see when using Bw film. What do I know anyway? It's fun trying tho...
    It is... I'm going to keep playing with settings and hope to refine the technique. Thanks so much for the input.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Hey Angelo - I like the first two (especially the color). I'm not feeling anything for the other variations.

I'd crop just a tad off the right side to get rid of the bright spot where there's another window just off frame. Kind of distracting.
    Hey Phil - thanks for taking the time to look. I've done that now and hope you'll look at the newly cropped version and tell me what you think.