Options

Back Alley

SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Street and Documentary
753991677_xZt4B-L.jpg
Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    This is nice for a shot with no people. It looks a lot better larger.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010

I really, really want to say 'Wow!' - but for some reason I can't. On one hand, it bears a strong resemblance to one of Jacob Riis's iconic images of the late 19th century lower Manhattan slums - I want to see a gang of thieves, or a a ragged child, standing by the laundry. On the other hand, it leaves me shrugging my shoulders. I'm not sure if that's because of the absence of people, or because there's too much depth to it, and no real subject. I think when all is said and done this is an image that says, 'Wow, did you have a great idea - too bad you didn't work it more.' Sorry. ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 2, 2010
    I like this shot, but while it comes close, I agree that it doesn't quite make the wow level. But it could have. I think the contrast of the white laundry and dingy surroundings is strong enough to carry the image without people, but I think it would have worked better if the sharpest focus had been at the back rather than at the front. This is especially true for smaller versions. Nicely seen and composed. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SyncopationSyncopation Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    C&C greatly appreciated. I wasn't totally happy with the shot for many of the reasons mentioned but thought it was still worth posting, if only to get some feedback.

On the plus side I wouldn't have 'seen' the shot in the first place had it not been for this forum :photo
    Syncopation

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking. - Brook Atkinson- 1951