Options

Ultra-wide angle lens for Nikon FX?

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in Cameras
I've recently snatched a used D700 so I'm the happiest camper this side of the western hemisphere. However, this also means having to replace my trusty Tokina 11-16mm, which is a DX lens.

I wouldn't want to have to replace the Tokina with a lens that's going to break my bank account (and also my back when I'm carrying it). This, of course, means that the Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is out of the question.

So what are the serviceable alternatives out there that go as wide as 12-14mm? Third-party brand? Maybe a prime, not a zoom?

Help would be appreciated.
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited January 2, 2010
    There is only one "ultra wide" full-frame zoom lens at this time. (I qualify an "ultra wide" zoom as having at least 4x normal angle of view.)

The Sigma 12-24mm, f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF HSM Aspherical meets that criteria, but it is notorious for wild variations in quality. If you decide to go that route be sure to buy from a trusted vendor with a liberal return policy and be prepared to return and exchange if necessary.

You might try mounting your existing Tokina 11-16mm, f/2.8 AT-X Pro onto the D700 as I gather it works pretty well on FF from 14.5mm through 16mm.

For that matter, if you were happy with the Tokina 11-16mm on a Nikon crop camera, you would want roughly a 17-24mm lens on FF for a similar view. The Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED would be a very good, although pricey, choice from Nikon. The Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED is a much more reasonable price and you might find it acceptable for many applications.

Review for the Nikkor 18-35mm zoom:

http://www.bythom.com/1835lens.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    (I qualify an "ultra wide" zoom as having at least 4x normal angle of view.)

Can you clarify that? "normal angle of view" to me suggests the angle of view of a 50mm lens on FF, which is about 46 degrees according to the diagram in Canon's "EF Lens Work" Book 7. But that seems unlikely to be what you mean, since 46 x 4 = 184.

In conventional usage "ultra wide" seems to mean anything significantly wider than 24mm on FF, though it's not a rigidly-defined term.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    Can you clarify that? "normal angle of view" to me suggests the angle of view of a 50mm lens on FF, which is about 46 degrees according to the diagram in Canon's "EF Lens Work" Book 7. But that seems unlikely to be what you mean, since 46 x 4 = 184.

In conventional usage "ultra wide" seems to mean anything significantly wider than 24mm on FF, though it's not a rigidly-defined term.

True, I meant 1/4 the focal length of a standard lens. The Sigma 12-24mm does provide 122 degrees at 12mm (I was thinking it was more).

I regard the term "ultra" as more extreme than "super", and so, in my parlance the progression would be:

Wide-Angle, approximately 1/2 the focal length of normal
    Super Wide-Angle, approximately 1/3rd " " "
    Ultra Wide-Angle, at least 1/4 " " "

I do recognize that many marketing descriptions use the term "Ultra" more loosely as they also use the term "Macro" more loosely than the original photographic term.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I would to confirm what Ziggy said. The ultra wide DX zooms are useful on FX. I have not used one personally, but users are getting great results with them when they adjust the focal length to take care of the vignetting.

I do have the 17-35 on a D700 and it is one of my favorite lenses. I have also read great reviews on the cheaper 18-35. It gets favorable remarks for IQ as well.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Congrats on the Fx purchasethumb.gif

I am certain the Nikkor 17-35mm would outperform this lens....But..I like and am satisfied with the results I get with this Tamaron 17-35 f2.8 on my D700.

Photos in the later part of this gallery: here. you can view up to original size too.

and below.
    First the worst (of the) vignetting with a 1/2ND filter.
    473260880_x8Aqq-M.jpg

and another 17mm without as much vignetting
    473260786_Wmckm-M.jpg

and at 35mm
    473260732_oWgmv-M.jpg

I find this lens usable and acceptable. For people photography I have found it to be way soft in the corners when standing and shooting within a few feet of the peeps~

cheers,
    tom wise
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    yes the tokina will work from about 14.5mm to 16mm on the d700. I have confirmed this.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    There is only one "ultra wide" full-frame zoom lens at this time. (I qualify an "ultra wide" zoom as having at least 4x normal angle of view.)

The Sigma 12-24mm, f/4.5-5.6 EX DG IF HSM Aspherical meets that criteria, but it is notorious for wild variations in quality. If you decide to go that route be sure to buy from a trusted vendor with a liberal return policy and be prepared to return and exchange if necessary.

You might try mounting your existing Tokina 11-16mm, f/2.8 AT-X Pro onto the D700 as I gather it works pretty well on FF from 14.5mm through 16mm.

For that matter, if you were happy with the Tokina 11-16mm on a Nikon crop camera, you would want roughly a 17-24mm lens on FF for a similar view. The Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED would be a very good, although pricey, choice from Nikon. The Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED is a much more reasonable price and you might find it acceptable for many applications.

Review for the Nikkor 18-35mm zoom:

http://www.bythom.com/1835lens.htm
    Thanks, Ziggy. Your post summarizes the feedback I've been receiving on different websites. The Sigma is a crapshoot, and the 17-35 and 18-35 Nikkors are good alternatives. The Nikkor 20mm has been mentioned by some as well.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 14mm prime versions of either the Nikkor or the Sigma. Is it because they aren't that good? Or maybe they're not well known?

Before pulling the trigger on any new lens, I'll give the Tokina a chance. Limiting its use to 14.5-16 doesn't bother me in the very least.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Congrats on the Fx purchasethumb.gif

I am certain the Nikkor 17-35mm would outperform this lens....But..I like and am satisfied with the results I get with this Tamaron 17-35 f2.8 on my D700.
    Thanks Tom for the feedback and te samples. Is the Tamron 17-35 that you have a fixed 2.8? I just did a quick search and could only find a 17-35 2.8-4, which seems to be on its way to be discontinued.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    yes the tokina will work from about 14.5mm to 16mm on the d700. I have confirmed this.
    Thanks Qarik, glad to see someone using this combo :)

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    ... I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 14mm prime versions of either the Nikkor or the Sigma. Is it because they aren't that good? Or maybe they're not well known? ...

The Nikkor and Sigma 14mm prime lenses are supposed to be similar in image quality. I have considered the Sigma for myself, but decided to go with stitched panorama images using a panoramic head instead. I get the detail that I was looking for and I don't need an instantaneous exposure, so that has worked for my needs.
    ziggy53