Options

transferring LR flags from folder to collection?

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Finishing School
Anyone know how to keep LR flags set in a folder, in a collection? I guess flags are independent from folder to collection. I was hoping there was a way to force the collection to take the flags I had already set in the folder.
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    Anyone know how to keep LR flags set in a folder, in a collection? I guess flags are independent from folder to collection. I was hoping there was a way to force the collection to take the flags I had already set in the folder.
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but flags are image specific, and should be the same all over. If an image is rejected in its folder, it's also rejected in any collection it is in.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, but flags are image specific, and should be the same all over. If an image is rejected in its folder, it's also rejected in any collection it is in.

I flagged a bunch of photos in a folder as keepers. When I put the entire group into a collection (not just the flagged photos), the flags did not show up in the collection.

At The Lightroom Queen, I read this:

"Lightroom’s Flags are local to the folder or collection, whereas star ratings and labels are global. This means that a photo can be flagged in one collection but not flagged in the folder."

I guess I could use a star rating in the folder, put them in the collection, and then put flags on the starred photos, and take the stars off. Maybe I'll try that.
    Elaine

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    I flagged a bunch of photos in a folder as keepers. When I put the entire group into a collection (not just the flagged photos), the flags did not show up in the collection.

At The Lightroom Queen, I read this:

"Lightroom’s Flags are local to the folder or collection, whereas star ratings and labels are global. This means that a photo can be flagged in one collection but not flagged in the folder."

I guess I could use a star rating in the folder, put them in the collection, and then put flags on the starred photos, and take the stars off. Maybe I'll try that.
    Hmm, okay, I'd better try this myself, I guess lol3.gif I don't use 'picks', but I do use 'rejecteds'. I guess I'd better pay attention next time :D

Can you use the stars in combination with flags if you filter based on rating?
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Hmm, okay, I'd better try this myself, I guess lol3.gif I don't use 'picks', but I do use 'rejecteds'. I guess I'd better pay attention next time :D

Can you use the stars in combination with flags if you filter based on rating?

So, I went back to the original folder and sorted for just the picks (with the flag). Then I gave one a five star rating and used sync metadata to give the rest of the picks a five star rating. Those stars show up in my collection. Now I can sort based on those stars, and I can add flags to them if I wish. And yes, you can sort using stars and flags.

This wasn't such a bad work-around. If I would remember to make my collections first and then flag within the collection, this wouldn't be an issue.
    Elaine

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    If you have all the photos copied into a collection already, you can select whichever ones from folder view (flagged, etc) and then right click and "show in collection" and select the appropriate collection. Those selected photos will then be shown (and selected) in the collection.

Smart collections let the flags carry over as well, since the flag status can be one of the criteria.

I've also used the stars as you described in a pinch.

Brian