Options

Your ideas?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited January 3, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
How can I improve on this?

754797385_pEUHd-XL.jpg

A friend who works at the local kinko's has offered to make up postcards for me to further market my photography. The first catch is, I have to come up with the design. The second catch is I'm not a graphics artist.

I need your help in coming up with a whizz-bang post card that will do all the usual stuff -- display skills, attract attention, etc etc etc.

Only the front of the card is shown here, the back will be used for contact info and a brief artist's statement.

Feel free of course to look through my images at www.meesoon.smugmug.com and see if there's other images I should use.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me as he's doing up 1000 cards, so thanks in advance for your help, ideas and POSITIVE suggestions
Jerry

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    First of all, Don't try to be too clever or arty.

Simple and elegant never goes out of style.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info! I appreciate your thoughts and guidance. I'll let you know what I finally come up with.

Blessings
    Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Jerry:

I went to your website and read your artist statement - very compelling. Now I know the origin of Journey America.

However, knowing nothing and seeing your postcard - between the web address being dot org and seeing a clear picture of Hillary, I immediately thought this was some kind of political group wanting donations. If this had come to my house, it would have been trashed without further investigation.

I think a few of your travelling shots would do well here - perhaps also a nice pic of you would help. I understand you have a lot invested in the site name, but the dot org doesn't help your business effort much.

It would be interesting to hear what others think as well.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Zanotti wrote:
    Jerry:

I went to your website and read your artist statement - very compelling. Now I know the origin of Journey America.

However, knowing nothing and seeing your postcard - between the web address being dot org and seeing a clear picture of Hillary, I immediately thought this was some kind of political group wanting donations. If this had come to my house, it would have been trashed without further investigation.

I think a few of your travelling shots would do well here - perhaps also a nice pic of you would help. I understand you have a lot invested in the site name, but the dot org doesn't help your business effort much.

It would be interesting to hear what others think as well.

Z

Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I like this idea, although I agree with the others. I was reading a free ebook about marketing photography and one of the things they mentioned was having a brochure with some pictures and testimonials from the people in the pictures. Having that "brochure" in postcard form doesn't seem like a bad idea. Pictures on one side, and testimonials of your work on the other side.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout