Options

shooting scale

bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Weddings
I was wondering what is the average rate for a photographer that shoots weddings for other photogs or studios? Not as a second but as a primary without an assistant. Post processed or straight from the camera?

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Typical rates I've seen is $1,000.00 for the shoot as primary, cull images, send to studio, unedited. For edited images...not sure as most studios or photogs want their "style or branding" in the mix.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I work for a couple of other studios in your area and a national one that is in everyone's area and the range is 500-1500, no cull, all raw, delivered on DVD or shot on their cards, for that upper end studio release all rights (no use in portfolio, no public exhibition, you make images for them).
  • Options
    bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Thank you for responding to my question. That's about where I expected the rates to be except for the 1500.00 end.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Thank you for responding to my question. That's about where I expected the rates to be except for the 1500.00 end.
    There's no reason you can't start high and let them work you down! I'd ask for $1750 if you think you're worth $1250 or $1500. Or at least ask for $1500 if you think you're worth $1000.

If they can afford to pay you more, never let them get away with paying you less!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    There's no reason you can't start high and let them work you down! I'd ask for $1750 if you think you're worth $1250 or $1500. Or at least ask for $1500 if you think you're worth $1000.

If they can afford to pay you more, never let them get away with paying you less!

=Matt=

What Matt said. This is the same logic I use for my regular career when I interview. I always ask for a lot more than I think I'm going to get. Sometimes you get surprised and they actually pay you more than you were hoping for! Never hurts to start high. However if you start low, you have no bargaining power.