Firmware updates for the D3X, D3, D700, D300s

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited April 29, 2015 in Cameras

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    Thanks Harry. thumb.gif

I created a new discussion thread with your post, and then I'll link back to your thread in the firmware updates thread.

Hopefully that way we keep the discussions separate and directed at specific models in the discussion threads and the discussion should be easier to find.

Thanks again.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    My bad. I thought I was posting in that thread. Another senior moment. :rutt
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Just updated my D700. There are some nice new features! Thanks for the tip!
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    FWIW, I'd like to mention as others have noticed. The D700 seems to have some improvements in high ISO noise.
    edited January 8, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    FWIW, I'd like to mention as others have noticed. The D700 seems to have some improvements in high ISO noise.

Are the improvements related to both JPG and RAW?
    ziggy53
    edited January 8, 2010
    clap.gif I'm seeing better high ISO performance as well! Way to go Nikon(they probably just passed down some of the D3s algorithm magic).

Edit: Ziggy, I am seeing the improvement in RAW(which I am sure would mean better OOC .jpg's)
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thank you Harry for the notice
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
    edited January 8, 2010
    clap.gif I'm seeing better high ISO performance as well! Way to go Nikon(they probably just passed down some of the D3s algorithm magic).

Edit: Ziggy, I am seeing the improvement in RAW(which I am sure would mean better OOC .jpg's)

We (the photographic community) used to believe that RAW files were pretty much straight from the imager with little image processing. It would appear that the latest cameras from Nikon and Canon, at least, do some processing of the image prior to RAW.

This observation, of RAW improvements through firmware updates, could mean that even prior cameras could be improved.

Most curious.
    ziggy53
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I'd say there is enough improvement overall that I can comfortably shoot ISO 6400 with no NR. :D (opposed to ISO 4000)
    edited January 8, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    I'd say there is enough improvement overall that I can comfortably shoot ISO 6400 with no NR. :D (opposed to ISO 4000)

I agree. Personally, I hate NR for most photos. I love good looking grain...reminds of the good ol' days I guess. :D The new noise characteristics look much better, IMO.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote:
    Thank you Harry for the notice

Ditto~thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2015
    I have two D700's one of which is running firmware 1.00 and the other 1.02. I have downloaded 1.04 and have not been able to update either of them. I have tried a number of different CF Cards including Sandisk extreme IV UDMA, Sandisk Ultra, Sandisk Extreme IV. Each of these cards work in the cameras as far as recording images. I have downloaded firmware ver. D700_0102.bin as well as D700_0104.bin and dragged them to the top level of two different CF cards. I have tried the upgrade of 1.00 to 1.04 which didn't work so I tried 1.00 to 1.02 also didn't work.
    Here is my procedure:
    insert CF card, go to the firmware version menu item, (shows A&B both 1.00) select update,shows current 1.00and new 1.02, Update? select "Yes click OK, nothing happens. Called Nikon, they had me reset shooting menue bank and custom menu bank. Still will not update.
    Am I missing something? Nikon suggests I send them in to their repair facility. Don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.
    jack

edit: I assume by top level of the CF card they mean external to the DCIM folder yes?

Really would like a response to this.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)