759808754_XXZwL-L.jpg

c&c welcome.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Nice! I like it that he is holding his glasses and she seems to be leading him into trouble. I hope they made it OK.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    Nice catch, Virginia. thumb.gif I dare anyone to say that this would have been better in B&W rolleyes1.gif.
  • Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    lovely capture clap.gif ... I wonder what it would look like in B & W:D
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    frg wrote:
    lovely capture clap.gif ... I wonder what it would look like in B & W:D

There's always someone rolleyes1.gif...

lol3.gif
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    There's always someone rolleyes1.gif...

lol3.gif
    It might 'look good' in B&W, but one would definitely loose part of the story int eh matching red of his shirt and the red 'don't walk' figure! Color IS better for this one!

clap.gifclapclap.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    cite her.
    pressing the walk button and then not waiting for the signal should be a ticketable offense!

Nice shot. Life happens in color. I think it's a bigger challenge. I think it's easier to be artistic in B&W because B&W forces the eye to look at lines and detail.

a friend's shot:

14260_173060456891_522781891_3378511_6113845_n.jpg

I love it because I find it to be quite artistic, and yet it breaks all the rules. And at the same time it's a nice keepsake of his daughter.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Great capture, Virgina......clap.gif azzaro
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Thank you all for commenting. It is much appreciated.

Personally, I like the photo, but it is missing something for me. Not sure what it is, but, even with the story, it doesn't quite do it for me.

You cannot know how badly I wanted this to work in black and white. This led me to the conclusion that, if ever there was a picture that calls for selective color, it is this one.

It turns out that in black and white you cannot tell that the red light is on and without it the photo doesn't have much going for it.

Frankly, I did not have the courage to post a b&w with red "don't walk" light.rolleyes1.gif Not that I wasn't tempted - just to hear the screams - but discretion and all that.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I like the colours, they remind me of Ektachrome (remember that?), but I'm not sure about the way the pole seems to cut the connection between the jaywalkers, although perhaps that's intentional…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Virginia,

I like the shot. It contains a simple story. The only reason it possibly misses is that I'm not left with any sense of connection with the couple. Maybe it's that they are looking down, that there's no other context for what they are doing or that the rest of the frame fells, well, plain. But I still like it. clap.gif

Also, I wish we'd give the whole B&W v colour debate a rest. The forum's inside joke was fun for a while, but it's run its course. The photographer made a choice and in this case colour was part of the story for her.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 8, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    759808754_XXZwL-S.jpg

c&c welcome.

Virginia

Interesting shot, Virginia.

I get a strong sense that the gentleman (?) has impaired/low vision. His hat brow is down over his eyes, his glasses are in his hand, he has sunglasses on his neck but is not wearing them, he is holding her hand with his head upright as if looking straight ahead, his right foot is too high in the air, and his helper is looking down at his foot as if to ascertain that it will land on the pavement properly. I list these reasons because none of them is really convincing to me, but together they look like so many low vision individuals I have seen over the years.

They are not holding hands, she is helping, leading, stabilizing the fellow step off the ( unseen?) curb.

Did you have this feeling when you shot this image, perhaps?

The red "do not walk" sign, and the matching red shirt, are the icing on the cake, of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    pressing the walk button and then not waiting for the signal should be a ticketable offense!

Nice shot. Life happens in color. I think it's a bigger challenge. I think it's easier to be artistic in B&W because B&W forces the eye to look at lines and detail.

a friend's shot:

14260_173060456891_522781891_3378511_6113845_n.jpg

I love it because I find it to be quite artistic, and yet it breaks all the rules. And at the same time it's a nice keepsake of his daughter.

Nice shot of the little girl, though I don't know what's "artistic" about it as such, or what "rules" it breaks.
    As to it being easier to shoot in black and white because your eye is forced to look at lines and details - you have to capture the lines and details to start with, and capture them in an interesting way. I could just as easily say that it's easier to shoot in color because all the color distracts the eye from the weak composition and lack of detail. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Virginia,

I like the shot. It contains a simple story. The only reason it possibly misses is that I'm not left with any sense of connection with the couple. Maybe it's that they are looking down, that there's no other context for what they are doing or that the rest of the frame fells, well, plain. But I still like it. clap.gif

Also, I wish we'd give the whole B&W v colour debate a rest. The forum's inside joke was fun for a while, but it's run its course. The photographer made a choice and in this case colour was part of the story for her.
    Very nice, Virginia, on so many levels.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed