Options

Search problem

timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
edited January 9, 2010 in Dgrin Forum Support
Recently I did a search for "50D" in the Gear forum, and was told it was too short.

Given the number of pieces of equipment out there with short abbreviations / model numbers, it doesn't make sense to restrict searches so us Canon folks can't find posts related to our cameras!
  • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    i'm no forum staff, but couldn't you search for Canon AND 50d or Canon +"50d"?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Foques wrote:
    i'm no forum staff, but couldn't you search for Canon AND 50d or Canon +"50d"?
    IT ignores words it deems too short, so a search of "Canon 50d" will return all articles with just the word "canon" in them.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    There's a very good reason- small word searches could crash the system.

I added 50D to the allowed list.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    There's a very good reason- small word searches could crash the system.

I added 50D to the allowed list.
    Thanks - will you be adding the other camera numbers as well?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited January 6, 2010
    timk519 wrote:

Try using the Google Custom Search option. It's right above the Search on Dgrin box, and it doesn't have the 4 character minimum.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    timk519 wrote:
    Nope - use Google Custom Search thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Try using the Google Custom Search option. It's right above the Search on Dgrin box, and it doesn't have the 4 character minimum.
    I must be blind because I'm not seeing it - all the 'Search' boxes I see on dgrin are by themselves, no google to be seen.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    timk519 wrote:
    I must be blind because I'm not seeing it - all the 'Search' boxes I see on dgrin are by themselves, no google to be seen.
    It's easy to miss, but it's there:

758985252_tDqJT-M.jpg

Just click your cursor where the red arrow is and type, then hit the big search button. It's a normal Google search but is confined to Dgrin only. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    It must be the browser I'm using, because that logo you're seeing isn't in my field of view when I hit 'search'.

I'm using the latest update of Google Chrome.

I just tried it with FF, and I see the google now. Google will search on smaller keywords, but it doesn't do it by forum, which means I've got a lot of wading to do to find what I want... :(

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    timk519 wrote:
    It must be the browser I'm using, because that logo you're seeing isn't in my field of view when I hit 'search'.

I'm using the latest update of Google Chrome.

Well, that's ironic. lol3.gif But I would think the entry box works nevertheless. Yeah, AFAIK, there's no way to limit by forum, so try using additional keywords to reduce the scope.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Well, that's ironic. lol3.gif But I would think the entry box works nevertheless.
    I should clarify - both the logo and entry box are missing.

Don't know why - maybe it's JS based and Chrome has javascript turned off or something.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    timk519 wrote:
    I should clarify - both the logo and entry box are missing.

Don't know why - maybe it's JS based and Chrome has javascript turned off or something.

Hmm...I think you would see lots more problems than that if javascript weren't working, but I don't really know. In any event, though it is a bit of a hassle, you can just go to Google and include "site:dgrin.com" in the search words; that will accomplish about the same thing.