Options

17-85mm IS USM vs 18-55mm IS vs other wide-angle option

smile17smile17 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
edited January 12, 2010 in Accessories
I'm new here, and new to photography in general (just started to have a serious interest in it in the last six months or so). I'm just having a little problems deciding which lens to keep and which lens to let go in my collection.

I have a Canon XSi and a Canon 17-85mm IS USM. I used to have the kit len 18-55mm IS, but then I decided to get rid of it for a sale. Then I got a hold of a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at a really bargain (I paid $121 for it while it goes for $300 and up elsewhere). I was floored by the Tamron's excellent quality. The problem is that the Tamron is not wide enough for me. I still have the Canon 17-85mm, but at 17mm, which what I usually use, it's horrible with vignetting. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Canon 17-85mm IS and getting the kit len 18-55mm IS to take care of my wide-angle shots. Should I do this, or is there a better option money-wise and quality-wise? I'd just rather not pay $600 for a Canon 10-22mm :cry

Comments

• Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    smile17 wrote:
    I'm new here, and new to photography in general (just started to have a serious interest in it in the last six months or so). I'm just having a little problems deciding which lens to keep and which lens to let go in my collection.

I have a Canon XSi and a Canon 17-85mm IS USM. I used to have the kit len 18-55mm IS, but then I decided to get rid of it for a sale. Then I got a hold of a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at a really bargain (I paid $121 for it while it goes for $300 and up elsewhere). I was floored by the Tamron's excellent quality. The problem is that the Tamron is not wide enough for me. I still have the Canon 17-85mm, but at 17mm, which what I usually use, it's horrible with vignetting. I'm thinking about getting rid of the Canon 17-85mm IS and getting the kit len 18-55mm IS to take care of my wide-angle shots. Should I do this, or is there a better option money-wise and quality-wise? I'd just rather not pay $600 for a Canon 10-22mm :cry

If you really do want a wide angle lens, I think you will find that the 18-55 is just not wide enough. I recently picked up a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and I love it. I picked mine up for $407 before tax from Canoga Camera (www.canogacamera.com), a very reputable camera shop. I remember the Canon mount being a bit more for some reason, but it's worth checking out. They have discount codes right now on Sigma lenses.

I think you're better off avoiding the 18-55 and saving up for a real Wide Angle, be it the Canon or something else.

EDIT: Here's a link - http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=8911, coupon code S144809 brings it to $455.xx

Adorama also has it with a kit (Tiffen UV filter and lens cleaning set) for regular price.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II is a pretty decent standard zoom for the money. If you need wider than that I would second the thought for a Sigma 10-20mm, F4-5.6 EX DC HSM. It is a very good value super-wide zoom lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    smile17smile17 Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. You guys are fast. I would definitely look at the Sigma 10-20mm and abandon the thought of getting the 18-55 for right now. I probably sleep on that Canoga Camera deal and then I will decide...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    +1 on the Tamron 17-50 2.8.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    And the Tamron 17-50 now comes with VC (vibration control)!!