Options

Narrative Magazine

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited January 9, 2010 in Street and Documentary
A friend forwarded this link to me. I pass it on to those here who actually have the caliber of work they're looking for...

http://www.narrativemagazine.com/photography
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Paying $20 per submission is bad mojo to me.

They seem to pay well enough if they select you though.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    A friend forwarded this link to me. I pass it on to those here who actually have the caliber of work they're looking for...

http://www.narrativemagazine.com/photography

This looks to me to be the on-line version of all those old poetry "contests" and photo "contests." This is a "magazine" and you have to PAY to submit work? Think about this for a minute:

They say they pay "between" $250 and $2000 for an accepted photo essay - without saying if they've ever paid $2000, or more than $250. They charge $20 for the 'honor' of having them look at your work and reject it. Let's say they get 100 submissions for every essay they publish. My math is lousy, but I believe that would mean that they take in $2000 for every essay for which they pay "between" $250 and $2500. Let's be generous and say they pay $1000 for most photo essays - and I really doubt they do. Not a bad business model. :-) And note that they're doing the same thing with stories, although there they pay a flat $250.

ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    I didn't read through it. They've got a lot of cajones.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 9, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    I didn't read through it. They've got a lot of cajones.

The word you want is cojones. Cajones (in Spanish) are drawers, probably stuffed with twenty dollar bills. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    The word you want is cojones. Cajones (in Spanish) are drawers, probably stuffed with twenty dollar bills. rolleyes1.gif

I'd rather have the cajones then if there's money involved. :D

patti hinton photography