New Forum Skin

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 19, 2004 in Dgrin Forum Support
Patch may not want me to say this, but he's been trying to develop a second forum skin (:huh) that has a lighter background. Apparently someone around here has been whining about the default skin being too dark. :wxwax

It's nowhere near finished, but check it out anyway. Just scroll down to the bottom of your screen, to a drop-down box labeled "Quick Style Chooser." Select "Test Style." See what you think.

You can immediately change back by going to the same menu and selecting "Default Style."
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Richard CabesaRichard Cabesa Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    I haven't been wining but the test is easier on my eyes.

David
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Patch may not want me to say this, but he's been trying to develop a second forum skin (eek7.gif) that has a lighter background. Apparently someone around here has been whining about the default skin being too dark. umph.gif

It's nowhere near finished, but check it out anyway. Just scroll down to the bottom of your screen, to a drop-down box labeled "Quick Style Chooser." Select "Test Style." See what you think.

You can immediately change back by going to the same menu and selecting "Default Style."
    OK... but put back the parts that had black backgrounds in this version JMHO
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • TuesdayTuesday Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2004
    wxwax: I personally prefer the default skin.thumb.gif
    Will we have a choice?
    :tuesday
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 17, 2004
    Tuesday wrote:
    wxwax: I personally prefer the default skin.thumb.gif
    Will we have a choice?
    :tuesday
    Yeah, eventually we'll have quite a few skins people can choose between. For example, here's one we can buy for $30:

http://vbskin.pixicore.com/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited January 17, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, eventually we'll have quite a few skins people can choose between. For example, here's one we can buy for $30:

http://vbskin.pixicore.com/
    Truth be told, I think changing background colors and maybe a bit of
    layout would be better than something so fancy. In the end, nice as it
    is, it takes away from the subject matter.

In many ways, that smugmug is not too fancy is a good thing. Just MHO.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited January 17, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Truth be told, I think changing background colors and maybe a bit of
    layout would be better than something so fancy. In the end, nice as it
    is, it takes away from the subject matter.

In many ways, that smugmug is not too fancy is a good thing. Just MHO.

Ian
    Yeah, I agree. All those design elements distract you from the main attraction: the photos.

I've been messing around with a white style for people who like it lame, uh, I mean light. Lots of broken things right now with it but you get the idea. Let me know what you think.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    You'll be glad to know that today I finally saw dgrin on a relatively new plasma monitor, and I like the 3rd look (work was first, then home.) I could finally see what the backgrounds are supposed to look like with the default skin. Very nice. Why are you guys even bothering with different skins?rolleyes1.gif

The white is good, now that it's been toned down. Not as sophisticated as the default, but practical.

The grey has the same issue - not as sophisticated.

The sample you posted in the link, Baldy, is beyond garish and overwhelms the content. The skin should complement the content, not be a distraction.

JMHO, of course. The HO of a man with two bad monitors. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 19, 2004
    Well, I've now viewed dgrin on four monitors. Three of them at work. The verdict?

Default Lookin' Good = 1
    Default Lookin' Bad = 3

The only one that made it look good is the 15" plasma that's less than a year old. I can't help but think that there are many others with less then optimal monitors.

The expensive good news is that my four year old Micron-badged Trinitron now has tearing along the top of the screen... time to upgrade. I'm thinking about a terribly expensive 19" plasma. Good idea?
    Sid.
    edited January 19, 2004
    Strange, but on my new powerbook the default looks medium-gray, much lighter than on my desktop.

vBulletin just came out with a new "pro" style that's silver. Looks nice! Not as stark as the white, not as dark as default.
    edited January 19, 2004
    Get yer monitor calibrated. umph.gif

rolleyes1.gif

I just saw dgrin on an Apple Theater display... looks very elegant. So the score is now:

Lookin' Good = 2
    Lookin' Dark = 3
    Sid.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    I suppose it's okay to have an option for dark on light, but light on dark is much MUCH easier on the eyes. All of the coders I know have their desktops set for white on black for a reason.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson