Got My SmugMug Strap Thread

Comments

• StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2009
    just ordered mine today...had no idea these existed. I'm facing a dilema though...I assume I will get a pro strap, which is great because it tells people how awesome I am rolleyes1.gif but I do love the little smuggy he's always so happy to see me iloveyou.gif
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2009
    just ordered mine today...had no idea these existed. I'm facing a dilema though...I assume I will get a pro strap, which is great because it tells people how awesome I am rolleyes1.gif but I do love the little smuggy he's always so happy to see me iloveyou.gif

work out a trade with someone ;)
  • StevenSzaboStevenSzabo Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    work out a trade with someone ;)

after some consideration I decided I like the idea of everyone knowing how awesome I am clap.gif please note that I am actually not that conceited, lol.
  • zooexplorerzooexplorer Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2009
    Nothing against my Nikon Strap but the SmugMug strap is so comfortable. Now I need to worry my friends will like using my camera because its comfortable to have on their neck.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Smugmug, I will not be living at the address that you sent the strap to in 4 months, so I really hope it will get here by then, or somebody else will get it!
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • M-B-PhotographyM-B-Photography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2009
    Got mine in today! :Dclap.gifwings.gifbow Seems SUPER comfy so far, love the stretchyness too.. Great strap!iloveyou.gif

Here are some quick shots of it on my 40D an 100-400thumb.gif

734657915_eUzWa-L.jpg

734659374_7qqxc-L.jpg

734660180_qqzsM-L.jpg
    Mike
    My SmugMug
  • agphotographyagphotography Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2009
    Mine just showed up in the mail today! I only found out about it a couple weeks ago, it got here fast!

4186208942_61f0794951_o.jpg

I have it on my 40D because it typically has the heavier lenses on it, It's quite comfortable indeed!
    edited December 15, 2009
    I just got my strap today! I had to wait a while, but I must say it well worth the wait... Thank you very much SmugMug and Andyclap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • EOS ShutterbugEOS Shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 16, 2009
    Got mine yesterday, all the way up in Ontario, Canada!! Thank you! clap.gif
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Mine got here today. I'm WAY up in Ontario Canada, as well. Great strap. Thanks a bunch.
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Got my strap today....

745088290_wrkip-M.jpg
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Just got mine in Blighty clap.gif
  • writewithlightwritewithlight Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Shukkie Dukkie.. Quack Quack
    Just ordered my strap.. can't wait, can't wait!!!!iloveyou.gif
    [FONT=&quot]D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]allas[/FONT][FONT=&quot] P[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot] A[/FONT][FONT=&quot]llbritton[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]riting [/FONT][FONT=&quot]W[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ith [/FONT][FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ight [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Photo[/FONT][FONT=&quot]graphy[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Photos You Can Afford[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]wwlphotos.com[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (615) 500-8006[/FONT]
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    It "appears" to be smaller than the regular Smugmug strap, but that might just be an illusion since it's not on the camera yet. I will compare the two straps when I swap them.
    Okay, I finally got around to swapping straps and while both were side by side I snapped a pic. The SmugMug Pro strap is approximately 3/4" shorter than the original SmugMug strap. I probably won't notice a difference in use, but I confirmed what my eyes were telling me.

749801882_qiAYe-L-1.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    For those who want a detachable strap ... I used pieces from an old strap to make loops through the body stap mounts on my 30d with a set of these buckles (http://www.rei.com/product/630351) sewn into the loops. I threaded the ends of the strap through the other part of the buckle.

753410008_aip6C-M.jpg

I actually sewed the loop using my sewing machine and heavy nylon thread for strength. The loop is sized to fit my hand so that when I'm carrying the camera without the strap it gives me kind of safety net. This has been on my camera for about 2 years now (I got in on the SM strap thing early).
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
  • kofakofa Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Got mine yesterday, thanks! Swapped the original strap immediately. :-)
  • MarcRJacobsMarcRJacobs Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Just ordered mine...
    Just found out about this and ordered mine... can't wait!

But, I have a question... what I was looking for when I found this neat strap was a SmugMug coffee mug. Shawna Seto (www.shawnaseto.com) had this great photo on her site: http://www.shawnaseto.com/popular/#65072383_dnQFN. I wondered where this mug came from and can we order/buy them?
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Mine arrived yesterday. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Should I be concerned about the weight of my 7D with a 28-135 IS lens on this strap? It seems that the stretchy material may not hold up to a heavy body/lens combo. Just wonderin' headscratch.gif .
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Would love a strap, But is it a bit much to ask for postage to Leeds, England?
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Wait a second, I got a regular strap, but what do you have to do to get the Smugmug PRO strap? ne_nau.gif I want to collect them all! :D
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Wait a second, I got a regular strap, but what do you have to do to get the Smugmug PRO strap? ne_nau.gif I want to collect them all! :D

Check out page 1 of this thread
    edited February 19, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:

You have to have a pro account.

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited February 19, 2010
    Would love a strap, But is it a bit much to ask for postage to Leeds, England?

They sent mine, and I live in China... You never now, maybe if you are really nice to them they will send your to England toone_nau.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited February 19, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    You have to have a pro account.

Uhh, I do have a pro account! ne_nau.gif Should I just resubmit the same form again?
  • t_hedlundt_hedlund Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    Got mine, and went out shooting with it, It is awesome. Thank you.
    edited February 25, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Uhh, I do have a pro account! ne_nau.gif Should I just resubmit the same form again?

No. If you have already submitted the form with your pro account for a strap, your next step is to be patient and wait. clap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited February 25, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    No. If you have already submitted the form with your pro account for a strap, your next step is to be patient and wait. clap.gif

Oh ok, I had already recieved a strap back before they were offering the Pro Straps. :cry
    edited February 25, 2010
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Oh ok, I had already recieved a strap back before they were offering the Pro Straps. :cry

In that case, I would advise asking Andy...

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • ghammaghamma Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2010
    SmugMug Pro Strap Failures
    This is a cautionary tale:

I have been using the previously distributed SmugMug straps on all my cameras, and they work well.

I got my first SmugMugPro strap at the second Silicon Valley SMUG meeting. I really like the non-slip finish and springy action of the strap. I proudly put it on my latest DSLR

The SmugMug Pro strap really worked well - until the plastic buckle on one end snapped, dropping the camera and lens on the ground. That was the first failure. The other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I've just had a second failure of a buckle on another SmugMugPro strap with exactly the same results - camera and lens on the ground. Again, the other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I would strongly suggest that, as a preventive measure, the loose end of the strap looped through the camera attachment be tied off with a knot above the buckle to prevent the camera from slipping off the strap when the buckle fails (which it apparently will do).

I love the SmugMug Pro straps, but the buckles aren't sturdy enough to protect my equipment.

-George Hamma, SVSMUG