Options

O'Hare Airport

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Between Concourses B & C. I rode back and forth several times, enjoying the show. :D

714096532_pE5tn-L.jpg

714115566_nEpXU-L.jpg

714156492_jxBWK-L.jpg

714155742_26xar-L.jpg

714158966_W3Bmb-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    What's with the weird lights?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    In terms of lights, I like no. 4 the best. Maybe some picks with people more prominent in the shots?
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    What's with the weird lights?

O'Hare Airport in Chicago has a continuous light and music show in the tunnel between Concourses B&C. The neon lights turn on and off in time to the music. If you get a chance to layover in Chicago, be sure to ride the conveyers and watch the show. I was glad I had several hours there. :D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Between Concourses B & C. I rode back and forth several times, enjoying the show. :D

Very, very cool! Wow! (But have you tried converting them to black and white?rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )
    :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Those lights always make me motion sick. :D
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I love these!! ##2, 4 and 5 are my favorites. You might try lightening the people walking along in the middle in #1 (not the ones on the left over the yellow) - just a tad could make a big difference in the impact. For me, they get lost in the dark and it took me a bit to appreciate how many people were there.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    For those of you who haven't been there, basically United Airlines has two terminals that are separated by a lot of tarmac. This is a very long underground tunnel connecting them, the overhead neon is animated, and there's spacey ambient music that also shifts along the way. United commissioned this art so that it wouldn't be a long, boring underground walk, and so that you forget how annoying it is that your connecting flight is way the heck over in the other concourse.

It's pretty effective, though, it's fun to go through it!

Edit: Found an article by one of the creators
    http://www.wallpaperbydesign.com/photography/art/michael-hayden/
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    In terms of lights, I like no. 4 the best. Maybe some picks with people more prominent in the shots?

Thanks! I posted about half of them here: http://whatshesaw.smugmug.com/Vacation/Pittsburgh-Nov-2009/10327385_v5d5S#714096532_pE5tn. I went back through the rest of them and I may post a few more later today.

There are a few more on the 1st and 3rd pages of the gallery. In most of them there aren't many people and the ones that are close have a lot of motion blur.

714159305_CH3tV-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Very, very cool! Wow! (But have you tried converting them to black and white?rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )
    :D

Thanks, B.D.! I'll give it a shot. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    run_kmc wrote:
    Those lights always make me motion sick. :D

Too bad - it is really cool! I may make a point of scheduling through Chicago again, just so I can take some more.

Detroit also has a light and music show in their airport. I'll post some of those in another thread later.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love these!! ##2, 4 and 5 are my favorites. You might try lightening the people walking along in the middle in #1 (not the ones on the left over the yellow) - just a tad could make a big difference in the impact. For me, they get lost in the dark and it took me a bit to appreciate how many people were there.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia! You're right, they are quite dark. I'll play with it a bit and see what I can do.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    For those of you who haven't been there, basically United Airlines has two terminals that are separated by a lot of tarmac. This is a very long underground tunnel connecting them, the overhead neon is animated, and there's spacey ambient music that also shifts along the way. United commissioned this art so that it wouldn't be a long, boring underground walk, and so that you forget how annoying it is that your connecting flight is way the heck over in the other concourse.

It's pretty effective, though, it's fun to go through it!

Edit: Found an article by one of the creators
    http://www.wallpaperbydesign.com/photography/art/michael-hayden/

Thanks for the link Colourbox! This art is an effective promotion for United. I have been avoiding O'Hare in my scheduling. The weather there is often iffy with thunderstorms in the summer and snow in the winter. And it is notorious for flight delays. I will look forward to going through there now and plan for some layover time so I can enjoy it again. wings.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Color is close to the reality our eyes see. Some HDR is even closer. Black and white is, in this digital age, post processing to help viewers focus on part of that reality that we wish them to see. In the film days, b&w was easier to deal with. Hard to imagine Eugene Smith having a good old time making color prints in the dark room. Black and white was practical for decades, both for photographer and publishers.

IMHO, the color in these photos is part of what makes them interesting. Maybe, without it, these will be more compelling photographs, but they if they are, they will have been manipulated to achieve the artist's goal.

Not a bad thing. But let's not forget that that is what we are doing.

Virginia

Email