Drivers

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited January 11, 2010 in Street and Documentary
757051758_R5Fp8-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 7, 2010
    It's a cool shot, but the blue reflection on the windshield lessens the impact. Others could certainly do a better job, but here's a quick attempt at a B&W conversion to make your subjects stand out a bit more:

759495644_jyq4B-M.jpg

On my monitor, I'm seeing a lot of banding on the hood and some on the side windows, but I'm guessing that it could be eliminated by working from the original.

Just a suggestion. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    It's a cool shot, but the blue reflection on the windshield lessens the impact. Others could certainly do a better job, but here's a quick attempt at a B&W conversion to make your subjects stand out a bit more:

759495644_jyq4B-M.jpg

On my monitor, I'm seeing a lot of banding on the hood and some on the side windows, but I'm guessing that it could be eliminated by working from the original.

Just a suggestion. thumb.gif

Thank you for the suggestions and effort on this (and for rescuing this shot from an "replies 0" fate...

Just last night I learned a little about layers and taking out single color channels in Adobe Elements 7. I will experiment more in a few days after a trip. In the color, the "banding" is likely the reflection of clouds. They did appear unidentifiable in the b & w. Need a "polarizer" option instead of IS in the new generation cameras...:D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Thank you for the suggestions and effort on this (and for rescuing this shot from an "replies 0" fate...

Just last night I learned a little about layers and taking out single color channels in Adobe Elements 7. I will experiment more in a few days after a trip. In the color, the "banding" is likely the reflection of clouds. They did appear unidentifiable in the b & w. Need a "polarizer" option instead of IS in the new generation cameras...:D

Thanks, Richard, this is a great example of where black and white really benefits and image. In the color version the red shirt does draw attention to the guy, but we lose his face and the dog. In the black and white, his face and the dog pop much more, and it's much clearer what the image is.

And yes, a polarizer option would be terrific. This is an amusing image, but it comes close to being killed by the windshield, and a polarizer would have made all the difference. I think you're right, by the way, about the hood stuff being clouds rather than banding.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    B & W reprocessed
    762221489_HFH5Q-L-1.jpg

I tried reprocessing this in Adobe Elements 8. The most improvement was in simply moving a "clarity" slider to the maximum. After that, the black and white did improve the image. This is what I ended up with.

Thank you Richard and B. D. for the comments and suggestions.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    I tried reprocessing this in Adobe Elements 8. The most improvement was in simply moving a "clarity" slider to the maximum. After that, the black and white did improve the image. This is what I ended up with.

Thank you Richard and B. D. for the comments and suggestions.

I very much like the reprocessed version. That clarity slider sounds magical. I wonder what it could do for me? :twitch :crazy
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I very much like the reprocessed version. That clarity slider sounds magical. I wonder what it could do for me? :twitch :crazy

That slider seemed magical for this shot. It appeared right away when I opened the RAW image (File menu box) before clicking "Open Image" when it displayed my selected photo.

Thanks for looking.