Options

FOUND: small, cheap, windows laptop

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited July 14, 2005 in Flea Market
Small and cheap, ability to run winxp
(doesn't have to be fast, but has to run winxp)
budget: ~$150

Yes, I said it, I want a billy gates laptop. Blech. But I have no choice. If anyone has an old one sitting around that is small, I'll take it. Small is key, it is for motorcycle travel, strictly to run mapping software for my GPS. Unfortunately there is NO way to make it work with my powerbook, long story. But the short version is, it's cheaper and more reliable to buy a crappy old laptop than to try and make it work with MacOS, or to buy a GPS with more internal map memory.

There are so many on ebay, I'm overwhelmed, and half of them are good chance of DOA anyway.

If anyone has one they don't totally want to part with, I only really need it for the next couple months as well. lease? loan?
:dunno
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    At $150 budget that really limits your choices. My work laptop, a Dell CPx, PIII 500Mhz, just runs Win XP but anything slower might cause more issues. I think you can find these CPx's for under $500 but not close to $150. There are also Thinkpads, which might sell for cheaper, not 100% sure. You might be able to grab a PII 300Mhz but then you run into problems of even running Win XP.

BTW another possible choice, if you can find the Win CE version of the software you need?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1163978&sku=j162-1000&CMP=ILC-FPM14B

Finally, I'm sure you know this already but have you tried using a Windows emulator software?

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2005
    we're talking used and abused laptop here. Dell is selling NEW laptops for $500 right now, so I don't think $150 for a 2 year old PC laptop is asking for too much. WinXP is a wish, win2k will work just fine.

Its a long painful story, but no, emulators will let the software run, but it will not communicate with the GPS. I've beat this to death on the motorcycle forums with other Mac/GPS nerds. Boils down to the software and communication routes being proprietary to the maker (Garmin) and they don't want to bother supporting Mac. This sucks, but it's not like there's a whole lot of choices out there for good GPS units.

Thanks for commenting though.
    Erik

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I have a gps unit that I used on my laptop. I upgraded laptops last winter to a new sony with win xp. Now that gps no longer works. It only works in win 98, I have also beat it to death trying to work around it and get it to work but to no avail.

I know the troubles your facing. I hope you get it working.thumb.gif

Sorry I could not be of better helpne_nau.gif , just wanted you to know I feel your pain.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Ok, I have another idea. You can call some of the surplus shops and they usually have old notebooks. Sometimes these get snapped up quickly since Cisco guys use them for the serial connection.

Try this shop, they will ship smaller items out. I didn't see any notebooks listed on their site but you can call.

http://www.weirdstuff.com

Another shop is this one, I've been to this place and they have really old notebooks. Again it's better to call.

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/Main.aspx

Hope this helps,
    Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited June 28, 2005
    $200?
    If you can go $200, check out:

http://offleasecomputer.com/index.php
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    I have a Panasonic Toughbook with Windows 98 that will run NetStumbler, then you can export than to mapping software. I use the com port for GPS input and the wifi card for the wardriving. I paid $150 for it, there are plenty out there.

Unfortunately saying, "Must be cheap" and "Must run XP" you are contradicting yourself. All my XP boxes get at least 1GB of ram nowadays.
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    you could cave in and buy a handheld PC - more than $150, yes, but you can get them with GPS in them...have you looked at that avenue?

If you don't find anything - we have this "$199 Computer Store" here in Tucson, I bet in MA you could find something like that, probably in Springfield or Worcester. (Are you at UMass? That's my alma mater)

Adrienne

DoctorIt wrote:
    Small and cheap, ability to run winxp
    (doesn't have to be fast, but has to run winxp)
    budget: ~$150

Yes, I said it, I want a billy gates laptop. Blech. But I have no choice. If anyone has an old one sitting around that is small, I'll take it. Small is key, it is for motorcycle travel, strictly to run mapping software for my GPS. Unfortunately there is NO way to make it work with my powerbook, long story. But the short version is, it's cheaper and more reliable to buy a crappy old laptop than to try and make it work with MacOS, or to buy a GPS with more internal map memory.

There are so many on ebay, I'm overwhelmed, and half of them are good chance of DOA anyway.

If anyone has one they don't totally want to part with, I only really need it for the next couple months as well. lease? loan?
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2005
    ajgauthier wrote:
    you could cave in and buy a handheld PC - more than $150, yes, but you can get them with GPS in them...have you looked at that avenue?

If you don't find anything - we have this "$199 Computer Store" here in Tucson, I bet in MA you could find something like that, probably in Springfield or Worcester. (Are you at UMass? That's my alma mater)

Adrienne
    I already have a GPS. Sell it and trade for a handheld PC? No way, they can't take the abuse of being mounted on a motorcycle.

Yeah, I'm a UMass, it's already my alma mater twice, but for some reason I'm still here headscratch.giflol3.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions gang, I'm well versed in whats out there. I can google with the best of you. I was just hoping/wondering if someone had something lying around that they would be willing to let go for a song.

It's not that big a deal that I would put major effort into anyway. If I load up detailed maps sparingly, for example, just around the major metro areas I'll be in on my long trip, I can actually cram quite a bit in there. It has a basemap, so as long as I stay on major routes in between where I load the detailed maps, I'm all set anyway. This would have been a cool addition.
    Erik

• Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    id be willing to let my vaio go for 225, 150 is a bit less than id want to let it leave for though. pm me if youre interested and ill give you the details.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    id be willing to let my vaio go for 225, 150 is a bit less than id want to let it leave for though. pm me if youre interested and ill give you the details.

charlie
    I appreciate it CB, but after another weekend of runs to Home Depot (finishing off our new house), even the $150 is more than I can spend on "toys".

So for the moment, I've dropped the idea. I'll load up what I can fit in my GPS memory, and bring an atlas. I should just be happy to have my bike and be able to take a week off to ride it once the house is buttoned up and we're moved in... hopefully very soon now!
    Erik

• Options
    gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Half the fun of motorbike travel is getting lost and finding new places that you would have missed, just last week we got lost in Norway ran out of petrol right at the side of a lovely waterfall, then a Dutch couple pulled up on another GS and we ended pulling into the same motel and had a great night, we meet them about another 4 times on are way down Norway

Regards
    Gary
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2005
    it appears by leaving this thread up, i found EXACTLY what I was looking for from a lurking dgrinner :Dthumb.gif
    Erik