Options

Winning event business from another shooter.

GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited January 12, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
l

Comments

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Sounds kinda like I ran into with some skydiving shots I did. I could see an opportunity there but they had a photographer that, as you say, was entrenched.
    He was lazy, but very good when he wanted to. He was also shifting focus to doing more video, especially during free-fall. So I could also see an opportunity to fill a quickly appearing gap.

I did not pursue this further though because of moving even further from the drop zone. So instead of 90 minutes away I would be closer to three hours away.

I know in that situation there it was a dead end as long as the "entrenched" photographer was there and willing to do the odd picture.

Best of luck and sorry I could not be encouraging or give you any decent ideas to run with.
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I think there's two ways to approach this.

1) Take the shots you've gotten so far, get someone "official" on the phone, get them talking and then looking at your pics. It's too easy to ignore emails, as you've already found out, but harder to ignore a phone call.

2) If that doesn't work, then shoot the event and hand out cards to whoever you can while you're there. Make sure your shots are up on the web site w/in 24 hrs. If you can get some momentum this way, you'll have more leverage to become the official shooter with the organizers than trying to get what sounds like some pretty lazy people to move their butt.

Offering to split a % with the organizers may help get some attention.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Glort wrote:
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    I'm also wondering what I could say, offer or do that will push the editors/ publishers buttons and be something that would be a benefit to them they would welcome me on board for.

I'm thinking the powers that be have an endearment to one of their mates so I may be trying to crack a closed shop in this case but I the only sure thing is if I am easily put off, I'm not going to get anywhere. The thing is, how do I get a look in with or without them covering the events as well?

I appreciate that being a better shooter is of little consequence to event organisers, I'm trying to work out what will push their buttons, without if possible setting a precedent here for paying them off, monetarily at least, unless I really have to and can know it's worthwhile.
    smiley.gif
    [/FONT]

The reality is it IS difficult. Photography is such a small part of an event - it can be difficult to find someone who thinks changing photographers is worth discussing. I would say one thing - you're dealing with people and how you present yourself is important. In the last day I've read a couple of your posts (this one and the one in the sports shooter thread). Without ever seeing your work product you come across in a very negative light - very arrogant. Arrogance and salesmanship don't mesh too well. And, this type of work - just like wedding work is as much about salesmanship and networking and social skills as it is about photographic skill.

What I've picked up so far from your posts is that you aren't interested in what other people think of your shots or types of shots (taken from your post in the sportsshooter thread). If I were hiring a photographer that tells me you aren't interested in taking the shots the client wants - only your own vision. You're also very quick to point out how much better you are (in this thread) in a very arrogant fashion. The attitude you present can more effectively close doors than probably any other aspect of your business approach. Especially when you're talking about luxury items like event sports photos. People put up with arrogance when they need the person. Most event coordinators dont NEED a new photographer.

Again, I have no idea how talented you are as a photographer. But the tone of your posts here already leaves me with a negative impression of you as a potential business partner or employee. And when you are 'cold calling' potential employers like in this case you can't afford to give that impression. And you might be a great person but your writing style is abrasive and that can hurt your cause.

It is entirely possible you have a completely different personality in real life than the one portrayed on this site. And, I realize this isn't exactly the type of advice you were looking for. But you can bet, if I picked up on this, other people might as well. So I would be careful that same type of attitude does not come across whe you are dealing with these potential clients.

Good luck in your search.