Options

YIR 2009, what would you pay

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
What would you pay for a book of the 2009 YIR entries? What about a high quality edition of prints?
If not now, when?

What would you buy? 15 votes

About $40 - $60 for a blurb book
60% 9 votes
About $40 - $60 for an edition of Smugmug prints
13% 2 votes
About $100 for 8x10ish prints from my press on museum quality paper
6% 1 vote
About $200 for larger prints from my press on museum quality paper
0% 0 votes
$0 - Wouldn't spend a cent
20% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    None of the above. I think for this sort of thing around $30 - $35 for a landscape softcover or 35-40 for Hard w/ dust jacket would be fine. You don't define with if the options from Blurb for print you are quoting on!

All three as with mine in my Signature would be great! Blurb

Might be more likely to get other Dgrinners to buy copies for themselves, too.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited January 13, 2010
    Very few people have responded to this poll. Only a few have said that they would buy a book. It's a lot of work to put this together, so if you are interested please speak up. Otherwise, in fairness to Rutt, I think we should forget about it.

ear.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I know I would prefer a book over a set of prints. Something on the smaller size, but very well printed and bound.. I'm not as much concerned about the cost, rather the payment and delivery method.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    I know I would prefer a book over a set of prints. Something on the smaller size, but very well printed and bound.. I'm not as much concerned about the cost, rather the payment and delivery method.

I agree. I just voted. I said $40-60 btw-but I would be willing to pay more, guess it just depends on how much more. But yes put me down for a book.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    40-60 voted thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I would happily pay 40-60.

Like many, I would really prefer a book - even if it isn't magnificent. But I am worried about BD's experience.

If BD's reprints turn out better, it might not be too much trouble (and all of us should certainly help in any way we can) to prepare the photos in a way that gives us a shot at getting a decent result. ne_nau.gif

Va

PS - Sorry for the late response. I just now saw that there was a poll.

Email
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I have had excellent successive prints of my Blurb book (all color). Softcover, landscape.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I did just vote that I would not purchase this book (though the wording did not express my sentiments as it conveyed worthlessness of the project). I am satisfied just viewing these shots in a gallery and am unclear what greater value I would derive from having a book of these photos. The other conflict is that I could spend this amount on the Magnum or other books that I suspect would advance my skills more.

Anyway, I hope expressing these thoughts is of more value than maintaining a silence.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I voted. My funds are limited, but I would be happy to purchase either of the lower cost options.