Options

DSS #42 Right track with these?

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited January 13, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey all,

Just checking to see if I have the right "style" of photography in mind here.

I realize these are out of the date range but I want to make sure I understand what I am trying to accomplish before getting to deep.

These were taken while driving the "Crash Car" for a friend of mine this weekend. His Sign Shop has a contract with the city to install and remove the Christmas Wreaths from the downtown Light poles every year. I took my camera with and just snapped a few(a lot) while they were working.

1) Color and converted

762737512_yey6B-M.jpg762744416_CNfko-M.jpg

2) Color / BW

762738695_DFE3j-M.jpg762743359_kAvDP-M.jpg

3)
762738498_nEiTS-M.jpg

4)
762737836_iTaMG-M.jpg

5)
762738177_Q5Qax-M.jpg

Just wanting to know if these "Fit". C&C would be appreciated too :deal

Thanks,
Randy

P.S. Not sure why the watermark showed up it is turned off in the gallery settings for these Photos
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    I would say 1, 2, 4, and 5, definitely. 3 not so much. Although 5 is not really candid and some might say that it doesn't really fit.

I love #5.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2010
    ok so let me get this straight.
    You can't use these because they were taken prior to the challenge correct? but you just want to see if they fit the theme?

Ok so you would have to convert the last two to B&W--but the last one might be a little too candid.

Out of the ones you have here though, I really like #1. Just watch your conversion--too grey--kick up the contrast a little. I also think #2 and #4 fit the theme. Don't know about #3.

So I pretty much agree with WhatSheSaw.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    ok so let me get this straight.
    You can't use these because they were taken prior to the challenge correct? but you just want to see if they fit the theme?

That's exactly correct Liz. I am a relative Noob to the wonderful and exciting world of photography. So I am really very unfamiliar with "categorization" of photos. These were taken Sunday afternoon while they took the wreaths down thus putting me before the entry time.:cry

I just wanted to ensure my mind is headed in the right direction while I have the next two weeks to burn up pixels. clap.gif

So for me to be clear(in my head at least)

this would qualify
    678660459_G94kH-M-1.jpg

Where this does not
    762840176_cbLqC-M.jpg

Because the first one is "As it happens" but the latter is "Staged" therefore the latter doesn't fit the theme, Correct?
    Randy

• Options
    TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Remember it's B&W
    RacinRandy wrote:
    That's exactly correct Liz. I am a relative Noob to the wonderful and exciting world of photography. So I am really very unfamiliar with "categorization" of photos. These were taken Sunday afternoon while they took the wreaths down thus putting me before the entry time.:cry

I just wanted to ensure my mind is headed in the right direction while I have the next two weeks to burn up pixels. clap.gif

So for me to be clear(in my head at least)

this would qualify
    678660459_G94kH-M-1.jpg

Where this does not
    762840176_cbLqC-M.jpg

Because the first one is "As it happens" but the latter is "Staged" therefore the latter doesn't fit the theme, Correct?
    Correct, but don't forget it still needs to be B&W. And...since there are so many ways to interpret how we each see and understand the word or theme of Photo Journalism/Street Photography, it may to some include life in motion, that is to say, people caught in the act of being.

Having said that, very nice capture on the construction debris falling from the roof.
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2010
    TomCollins wrote:
    Correct, but don't forget it still needs to be B&W. And...since there are so many ways to interpret how we each see and understand the word or theme of Photo Journalism/Street Photography, it may to some include life in motion, that is to say, people caught in the act of being.

Having said that, very nice capture on the construction debris falling from the roof.

Thanks Tom, It is actually the Brick Facia of the upper floor outer wall that's falling there.

That building had a BIG beer bottle label painted on the outside of the side of the building for over 50 years. I actually have two frames of it being reduce to rubble via the fire hose remodeling method. Kinda sad to see it fall.

But yes i understand it has to be converted to B/W just wanting to be sure i had Subject matter correct. Thanksthumb.gif
    Randy

• Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Also new to this, but in my mine, PJ pictures should tell a (very short) story. So your #1 is not as appropriate as #4 to me, since in #4 I can get a sense of what they were doing at the time.

I haven't the faintest notion what to take - the other night I saw on television the removal of the huge Christmas tree in front of the City Hall - would have made some nice shots if I had known in advance and been there.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    TomCollinsTomCollins Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Just grab your camera and head out
    Also new to this, but in my mine, PJ pictures should tell a (very short) story. So your #1 is not as appropriate as #4 to me, since in #4 I can get a sense of what they were doing at the time.

I haven't the faintest notion what to take - the other night I saw on television the removal of the huge Christmas tree in front of the City Hall - would have made some nice shots if I had known in advance and been there.headscratch.gif

I sometimes can drive myself crazy trying to think of what to shoot. What's worked best for me, particularly in the PJ/street photography area, is to just grab my smallest bag (I prefer to go light), a relatively wide lens and go take a walk around town. Maybe grab a cup of coffee, take a seat and look and watch and something always pops up. Grab your stuff and just head out. Good luck. thumb.gif
    Tom C
    www.tomcollinsphotography.com
    “Art allows us to expand the dimensions of our everyday life.”
    ~Carlos Jurado