Options

Elvis Birthday Bash

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in People
Well, last night I went to the Elvis Birthday Bash at the Whittaker Center in Harrisburg, PA with the intention to try a few things. But after seeing the lighting, I decided to go for available light. Here are a few samples of what I got. (Click on image for EXINF)

#1 Brad in leather - 60's come back special
761233083_cyptY-L.jpg

#2 Brad in light blue jump suit
761235353_Tbj9N-L.jpg

761237915_ReT7D-L.jpg

#4 Brad in white jump suit
761238636_nKnGT-L.jpg

761239179_KnxZy-L.jpg

#6 The back-up singers
761238772_iVEk9-L.jpg

The rest can be seen here: http://brophoto.smugmug.com/People/Brad-Crum-Elvis-Birthday-Bash/10904143_djLDv#761233083_cyptY

As always, C&C welcome!

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    A few more from the Elvis 75th Birthday Bash at the Whittaker Center in Harrisburg, PA

761955466_pxxKq-L.jpg

761955800_CBTyC-L.jpg

#3 Brad & backup singer during "Return to Sender" song
    761957384_XHpTu-L.jpg

#4 The BCT Legend Band
    762656281_M7Awi-L.jpg

#5 The venue - looking from the stage before they allowed people to enter
    762930229_4UC2c-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    WOW...186 views and not one comment or critique! If my photos are that bad, will someone please tell me. I've been looking for C&C on several posts in the past and get very little if none. It's getting to the point to where I don't even want to post anything, cause I know I won't get any critique on them. If no one tells me what I'm doing wrong, how am I supposed to correct it the next time?

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    No idea, and I can't really give you much in the way of good/bad concert photography. Many of them look pretty good, though you have some just barely clipped edges that are a little bothersome (but perhaps okay in this genre, I don't know). #1 has his knuckles clipped, 3 in both are just a bit tight on the side, and 5 in the second set.

You are also a bit OOF/blurry in several. Looking at the EXIF on #4 in the second set, your ISO is 200 and you had 1/45s on a 75mm equivalent focal length. Why ISO 200? Indoor, you would could have been ISO400 and had less shake, or gone to 640 or 800 (don't know how far you can push the D300) and either had better DOF (read this more as margin for error on your focus) and/or higher shutter speed to deal with the singers moving and/or your camera shake.

The venue picture has some rotation or distortion. The balconies are all slanted, though the chairs seem level near the front, but torque as you go further back.

All this may be very wrong advice though for these sort of images. Couple that with me never being much of an Elvis fan....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Don't know too much about this type of photography. I think I like the first one the most. Overall they look pretty good to me.

Makes me want to grow some chops, dawn a polyester jump suit and gyrate my hips while holding a mic!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    hehe..about coments..here is my observations.

1) If you would like to get critiques then request something more specific in what you are after. Is my exposure okay, do you like the processing, are these sharp, how is the noise? etc

2) if your photos really suck and have obvious issues with simple fixes..folks will comment. If your photos are really good you will get comments. If you photos are not bad but not great..then folks tend not to comment..what do you say? "These are not bad but not great"? hehe. So if you are not getting comments trust that you photos are pretty much average! mwink.gif

that said..your exposure looks good in these shots. Many of them are soft though. I do like the shot of elvis with his legs spread (that doesn't sound right)
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    No idea, and I can't really give you much in the way of good/bad concert photography. Many of them look pretty good, though you have some just barely clipped edges that are a little bothersome (but perhaps okay in this genre, I don't know). #1 has his knuckles clipped, 3 in both are just a bit tight on the side, and 5 in the second set.

You are also a bit OOF/blurry in several. Looking at the EXIF on #4 in the second set, your ISO is 200 and you had 1/45s on a 75mm equivalent focal length. Why ISO 200? Indoor, you would could have been ISO400 and had less shake, or gone to 640 or 800 (don't know how far you can push the D300) and either had better DOF (read this more as margin for error on your focus) and/or higher shutter speed to deal with the singers moving and/or your camera shake.

The venue picture has some rotation or distortion. The balconies are all slanted, though the chairs seem level near the front, but torque as you go further back.

All this may be very wrong advice though for these sort of images. Couple that with me never being much of an Elvis fan....

Thanks for the comments. When I got there, I was in awe with the lighting on the stage, and decided to go with natural lighting. Before the show started, I got the chance to get up on the stage to check out the overhead lights, which were huge colored flood lights above what appeared to be slotted walk ways that sorta looked like grids. Maybe that was part of their purpose. The purpose of this shoot was to get at least one shot that could be used for promotional purposes in the future. They picked 2 for that, and a few others for their web site. We're in discussions now on usage fees for them. As for the venue shot, I know what you mean. The weird thing about that room is it gets narrower as you go back, plus the back is higher than the front. The balconies on the sides are at lower levels as you come to the front, so that makes it look weird. I had tried leveling it at one spot and it would look crooked at another. So I did the best that I could on that. The next time I shoot one of his shows, I'll try different ISO & apeture combinations.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    Don't know too much about this type of photography. I think I like the first one the most. Overall they look pretty good to me.

Makes me want to grow some chops, dawn a polyester jump suit and gyrate my hips while holding a mic!

Thanks for the comments! They picked the first one to use for future promotional stuff, and that one is my favorite as well. I'm going to print that one at 20x30 to see how it looks.

There ya go! That would make for an interesting SP challenge! rolleyes1.gif

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    hehe..about coments..here is my observations.

1) If you would like to get critiques then request something more specific in what you are after. Is my exposure okay, do you like the processing, are these sharp, how is the noise? etc

2) if your photos really suck and have obvious issues with simple fixes..folks will comment. If your photos are really good you will get comments. If you photos are not bad but not great..then folks tend not to comment..what do you say? "These are not bad but not great"? hehe. So if you are not getting comments trust that you photos are pretty much average! mwink.gif

that said..your exposure looks good in these shots. Many of them are soft though. I do like the shot of elvis with his legs spread (that doesn't sound right)

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated! I know I have a ways to go to get to the caliber of many on here, but I'm working on it. I also know that my main weakness is post processing, and I wish there would be a workshop nearby, as I would definately attend. I know one guy close by that is pretty good with PS. Maybe I can get him to tutor me.

GaryB
    GaryB