Options

proof book pages

abidingimageabidingimage Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 14, 2010 in Weddings
i'm planning on ordering my proofbooks through blurb, but was wondering if anyone knows of a program to design the pages. i could just make contact sheets through photoshop but wanted them images to have a thin border around them....don't know how to do that though photoshop. anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    i'm planning on ordering my proofbooks through blurb, but was wondering if anyone knows of a program to design the pages. i could just make contact sheets through photoshop but wanted them images to have a thin border around them....don't know how to do that though photoshop. anyone have any ideas?

The book smart software has templates like you are wanting.... and it is the free blurb software that you download to order your blurb book. Its a super simple program.

However....... blurb is press print. And I am not sure that your clients would consider that professional quality proofing prints.

Millers, White House Custom Color, Mpix and many other venders offer very simple proof books with photo paper instead of press print. You should want your proofs to reflect the quality that they will get with the final product: professional prints on professional paper.

I don't actually use proofs... I do my proofing online and let their monitor callibration fall where it may. But if I did, I would want it to make my clients as impressed by the vividness (or correctness) of the colors and prints as possible... and therefore want to buy.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Blurb is great for a year book, or something like that, but not proofing. Their software is super easy to use, though.

Caroline
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I agree, press printed books are not the best choice for client proofing. I have been using ProDPI proof books and my clients LOVE them. The 8x10, with leather cover works great for my purposes, with 6 images per page. You just use their ROES software to create the books. Very easy, nothing technical.

Here's what they look like:

site_005.jpg

Check them out here: http://www.prodpi.com/services/proof-books/
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I used Blurb for a guest book I did for a client last year and I hated the software. I just went into photoshop and designed the pages manually. I was particularly offended by their last page. you get either the blurb logo or yours using the booksmart software. You can't design it as a page for some reason. Using photoshop and submitting as a pdf I was able to use it just like any other page. As heather said though, probably not the ideal proof book. I'm now going to contact sheets instead of 4x6's like I was using, and have often thought about a proof book but haven't found the right solution. I will follow this thread as well.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    i'm not very into the typical spiral proof books. i want to offer my clients a library bound proof book with an image wrap cover like what blurb offers. i'm also thinking of using asuka. i'm just wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to create the pages. and does anyone know if its possible to create contact sheets through photoshop with a keyline around each image?
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    i'm not very into the typical spiral proof books. i want to offer my clients a library bound proof book with an image wrap cover like what blurb offers. i'm also thinking of using asuka. i'm just wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to create the pages. and does anyone know if its possible to create contact sheets through photoshop with a keyline around each image?

Asuka PROOF books?! headscratch.gif Wow...you must have some very well heeled clients! Who do you use for your actual albums?
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    i use finao for my albums. the proof books that i'm going to offer are more like preview albums....i guess you could say its a higher quality proof book. instead of giving my clients a stack of 500+ prints, all their images will be laid out in an album. i've seen many photographers offer the same thing...so its not really a new concept