Options

Afternoon Break

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited January 15, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hey All,

First post here in Street/PJ for me. I am a relative Noob to photography in general so with that in mind I am looking for C&C on this shot. Trying to see if I am headed in the right direction here. Though I got into Street/PJ for the DSS Challenge, It is an interesting form of Photography and is way outside my comfort zone. Being primarily a circle track racing Photog, I do need to expand my horizions.

So anyway, C&C is greatly appreciated and it is a color to b/w converstion.

764407773_qnt4s-M.jpg

Thanks in Advance!!
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote:
    Hey All,

First post here in Street/PJ for me. I am a relative Noob to photography in general so with that in mind I am looking for C&C on this shot. Trying to see if I am headed in the right direction here. Though I got into Street/PJ for the DSS Challenge, It is an interesting form of Photography and is way outside my comfort zone. Being primarily a circle track racing Photog, I do need to expand my horizions.

Thanks in Advance!!

You definitely are headed in the right direction.clap.gifclap.gif I wish I could see more of the woman facing us, and realize I would in a bigger 'print.' I'd crop the image to the right of the large woman, and just to the left of the snow up against the wall, making it a square. Cropping that way would keep some snow, telling us that these women are freezing for a smoke rolleyes1.gif, but would make them even more the center of attention, and let us see better the outward facing woman.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    You definitely are headed in the right direction.clap.gifclap.gif I wish I could see more of the woman facing us, and realize I would in a bigger 'print.' I'd crop the image to the right of the large woman, and just to the left of the snow up against the wall, making it a square. Cropping that way would keep some snow, telling us that these women are freezing for a smoke rolleyes1.gif, but would make them even more the center of attention, and let us see better the outward facing woman.

Thanks B.D.!!!!

So your saying more like this
    764732205_49nRc-L.jpg
    Randy

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote:
    Thanks B.D.!!!!

So your saying more like this

Shift the crop to the right so that the left hand side of the image is just past the corner of the brick wall.
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    Shift the crop to the right so that the left hand side of the image is just past the corner of the brick wall.
    15524779-Ti.gif and thus the woman facing front wont be so centered!

Otherwise, nicely done. thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif and thus the woman facing front wont be so centered!

Otherwise, nicely done. thumb.gif

Don

Gaak, I missed it the first time where i was told to "Crop it just to the left of the snow" .... note to self, Read the WHOLE message and all the tips.....

Better?
    765075553_SvvAT-L.jpg

Challenge #42 is "street/pj" and I am trying to find an appropriate and worthy entry, so with that in mind here's two more from that day. one is similar to the first ... the second is inside

2)break Shot 2
    765082329_5mHrM-L.jpg

3) slow day at the cafe
    765082353_jzx7s-L.jpg
    Randy

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    The women smoking in the alley is about smoking outside in the cold, but the composition should hold it together. There is a very nice inherent symmetry that you have just missed. To get it, you needed to aim lower and to the right so as to not cut of the feet of the woman on the right. And you needed a little more exposure to show more of her hair and shadow detail in her hair and pants. If you'd done that, you'd have a really interesting image.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote:
    Gaak, I missed it the first time where i was told to "Crop it just to the left of the snow" .... note to self, Read the WHOLE message and all the tips.....

Better?
    765075553_SvvAT-L.jpg

C

Definitely! Stick with this one. Rutt is right about the technical aspects, but I believe you still have an interesting image. Nice.clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2010
    B.D. & Mutt,

Thank you Both for the critiques. I can see what your talking about and will work on them as I continue shooting.

Should be getting my 50mm 1.8 today so im looking forward to shooting with that!!!

Thanks again guys
    Randy