Options

Skaters

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited January 17, 2010 in Street and Documentary
There is an outdoor rink in downtown Saskatoon, I wandered by today to see what was going on. Appreciate any C&C on the composition and the conversions, both are fairly aggressive crops.

I really wish I had a discreet longer lens, I felt a bit odd, but a wider lens and staying farther away seemed less obnoxious.

761881107_Z78tV-L.jpg

761880563_ftMpo-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 14, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote:
    Appreciate any C&C on the composition and the conversions, both are fairly aggressive crops.

In #2, most of the people are facing/moving out of the frame. Don't know whether you have enough pixels to crop #1 even more, but I think getting rid of the guy in black on the right would emphasize the connections between the women and their children and the one child reaching out for the other, which is the strongest element of the shot. Conversion looks pretty decent.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Agree on #2, it really doesn't have much going on. I was trying to capture a moment with the mother/child but timed it wrong.

#1 does work better with a tighter crop. I sharpened it a bit and made a slight levels adjustment, but there isn't a whole lot there.

766608434_w55q2-L.jpg

I really should have had my 50 1.4 with me. Would have captured a tighter crop, preserved more detail, and isolated the subjects. Good learning for next time around.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    I've tried many times to get good shots from the side of a skating rink. It's darn hard. I think you might have to wait for a skater to get really close to make it work. But, then, I've never really gotten one I thought worked.
    If not now, when?