Options

mileage question

msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited January 17, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I started my business here last year, and kept track of the mileage. At first that would be trips to different locations to photograph at, but lately its mostly been trips to the studio. I got wondering if there is any point in keeping track of the mileage to the studio. I'm not a tax expert, and plan to use some software for this years taxes. Do I get to write off the mileage to and from the studio? In general people dont write off the mileage to work when they work for someone, so I was wondering as the business owner, if I get to write it off.

I suspect the first few responses will be to contact an accountant, but Im trying to save money, and accountants cost money. Last year there was a good business accounting program for free after rebate, I hope they offer it again this year. : )

Comments

• Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    A trip to a good accountant is cheaper than trying to explain things to an auditor yourself. It also frees you up to do what you make money at, rather than doing work you can't make money and build your business with.

So, if you're going to make a business out of this, it's better to get a financal professional involved sooner rather than later.

In my experience, you can expense travel mileage from your primary office. If that's your studio, then the round trip from home to the studio doesn't count.

Best to consult a professional for authoritative advice though. deal.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc