Options

CC Please on Winter E Session

samransamran Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Weddings
Hi All,
I need some serious feedback on this winter e session. I am photographing their wedding in June and need to know how I'm doing so far.
I don't know how to post more than one image at a time under a thread, so here is the link
http://samantharandall.smugmug.com/Other/Smugmug/10976331_TYBbc#767155797_MR3Dh
Any pointers on good posing techniques when the g is way taller than the b?
Thanks,
Samantha

Comments

• Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    samran wrote:
    Hi All,
    I need some serious feedback on this winter e session. I am photographing their wedding in June and need to know how I'm doing so far.
    I don't know how to post more than one image at a time under a thread, so here is the link
    http://samantharandall.smugmug.com/Other/Smugmug/10976331_TYBbc#767155797_MR3Dh
    Any pointers on good posing techniques when the g is way taller than the b?
    Thanks,
    Samantha

They're all good, my least favorite is the one of them in the tree? I think it's #3, the flash is too harsh (in my opinion), converting it to B&W might help a little.

To post images, just insert the code into the thread, posting one is just like posting five, just copy and paste the code.  As far as the height difference, I don't see it in the shots, I would have never noticed it. Depending on how far apart their heights are, it won't be that bad.  My husband's so much taller than me that when he stands behind me, he can put rest his chin on my head. Maybe have a few shot from the side with her on her tippy toes and him bending over to kiss her on the head (especially if she isn't tall enough to still reach his mouth).  If you're doing their wedding, try the tippy toe pose, but with one of her feet popped up, it'll provide a view of the dress and still be cute.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    My best suggestion would be to look at a lot of pictures and do a lot of practice shoots. Try to recreate the looks you see by good photographers, that is a fast way to learn the looks you like.
    We all start somewhere and if you put in the work by June your work could be much improved.
    The work you presented here looks like snapshots that pretty much anybody could reproduce.
    Sorry, to be a downer but I would not be helping you by telling you the photos are better than they are.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Thanks
    Thank you. I appreciate the comment about #3 having too harsh of a flash. I am having a really difficult time trying to get it right.
    They're all good, my least favorite is the one of them in the tree? I think it's #3, the flash is too harsh (in my opinion), converting it to B&W might help a little.

To post images, just insert the code into the thread, posting one is just like posting five, just copy and paste the code.  As far as the height difference, I don't see it in the shots, I would have never noticed it. Depending on how far apart their heights are, it won't be that bad. My husband's so much taller than me that when he stands behind me, he can put rest his chin on my head. Maybe have a few shot from the side with her on her tippy toes and him bending over to kiss her on the head (especially if she isn't tall enough to still reach his mouth). If you're doing their wedding, try the tippy toe pose, but with one of her feet popped up, it'll provide a view of the dress and still be cute.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Thanks
    I really admire your work. If you have a chance, and feel up to it. It would be great it you could provide more cc to other photos in my engagement/couple's gallery. I will take your advice and do my best in the meantime. Here's the link if you have time.

http://samantharandall.smugmug.com/Weddings/Couples-Engagement/8716000_dhYrj

zoomer wrote:
    Well Samantha I am afraid you have a long way to go.
    My best suggestion would be to look at a lot of pictures and do a lot of practice shoots. Try to recreate the looks you see by good photographers, that is a fast way to learn the looks you like.
    We all start somewhere and if you put in the work by June your work could be much improved.
    The work you presented here looks like snapshots that pretty much anybody could reproduce.
    Sorry, to be a downer but I would not be helping you by telling you the photos are better than they are.
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    samran wrote:
    Thank you. I appreciate the comment about #3 having too harsh of a flash. I am having a really difficult time trying to get it right.

are you using the pop-up-flash or an external flash? (I'm not experienced enough to tell at this point) If it's a pop up, kill it, if it's external, don't aim it at them (and if you do, diffuse it as much as you can). My next major 'tog purchase is a wireless transmitter for my 580EXII, it'll have to wait a few paychecks but it will be in my bag for my first wedding in July.

Con a sibling/relative/friend into some shots with you for practice, do it for free and give them a cd of the shots, you'll be surprised how fast your technique improves when you have a willing subject who doesn't mind being in front of a camera for a few hours. We found a model through the grapevine on Facebook and now when I say "I want to go shoot in the rain" she knows that within an hour, we'll be shooting, she's awesome!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    samran wrote:
    I really admire your work. If you have a chance, and feel up to it. It would be great it you could provide more cc to other photos in my engagement/couple's gallery. I will take your advice and do my best in the meantime. Here's the link if you have time.

http://samantharandall.smugmug.com/Weddings/Couples-Engagement/8716000_dhYrj

It is really just repitition and practice there is no magic formula.
    Keep shooting and posting and getting critiques and it will come pretty quick.
    Don't be afraid to experiment and push your limits, progress will come very slow if you play it safe.
    Most of all have fun with it.
    For me the hardest thing to learn was flash, I still have trouble with it and been doing this for a few years now.
    Direct flash is bad, bounce it off walls or ceilings or get it off camera on a stand. I use Nikon so the on camera flash directs the off camera flash VERY easy to use.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    Flash
    I think in that photo, it may have been the pop up flash. i was having a horrible time getting my SB900 to work for me. I have a friend that is willing to go, but for some reason, I just struggle with couples. There is more work you can check out on my site at http://samantharandall.smugmug.com/Weddings/Couples-Engagement/8716000_dhYrj. let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Samantha
    are you using the pop-up-flash or an external flash? (I'm not experienced enough to tell at this point) If it's a pop up, kill it, if it's external, don't aim it at them (and if you do, diffuse it as much as you can). My next major 'tog purchase is a wireless transmitter for my 580EXII, it'll have to wait a few paychecks but it will be in my bag for my first wedding in July.

Con a sibling/relative/friend into some shots with you for practice, do it for free and give them a cd of the shots, you'll be surprised how fast your technique improves when you have a willing subject who doesn't mind being in front of a camera for a few hours. We found a model through the grapevine on Facebook and now when I say "I want to go shoot in the rain" she knows that within an hour, we'll be shooting, she's awesome!