Options

should I charge for this?

the supervillainthe supervillain Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
edited January 18, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,
so I got this random email the other day from a small business owner wanting to use one of my images as a banner heading for a page on his website. He wants to alter the image as well, by tweaking the colors he says.

He is telling me he will give me credit on the website.

The exposure is good, but I am on the fence as to whether I should charge him, at least the cost of a digital download from my gallery. Not too sure how I feel about the altering the image as well.

What are your thoughts??
--Craig...
shoots things with a D80, an F1, and a Diana F+

My Gallery
Sign the guestbook :)!!

Comments

• Options
    KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Of course you should charge for use of the photograph.

The small business owner's web site is there to help him optimize his business and thus his profitability.

If your photograph enables his web site to achieve its purpose, then your photograph has monetary value to him and therefore to you.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2010
    thank you! putting it that way makes it seem like a no-brainer :)

the next question, this would be for commercial use, correct? seeing as he is using it in website design for a company.
    if he is altering the image (color enhancing), would this be a derivative work?
    --Craig...

My Gallery
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Yes, charge for it. Make up a contract as well since he's going to change the colors.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    ask him what and how he wants it changed and do it for him and charge for that also.....and now it is still 100% your work.....with small verbal collaboration .... if he does it he will skew the facts to make it seem without his re editing it was worthless........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 18, 2010
    thanks for all the input everyone, you have put things in a different perspective. I am writing up a response to his request and we will see what happens
    --Craig...

My Gallery