Options

Madame Adventurer Extraordinaire

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 21, 2010 in People
Shot this series back in November when my friend contacted me one day and said she felt like shooting again. (You might remember her from here. Cleans up nicely, doesn't she? :D) Finally got a chance to finish processing them all and wanted to share my first shoot post-McNally.

720576409_mEt3t-L.jpg

720745800_RU4Wb-L.jpg

720874418_AcrJd-L.jpg

720950640_TH6cE-L.jpg

721191101_NYQHZ-L.jpg

722047399_Ywd5K-L.jpg

722336890_LHfVt-L.jpg

764175432_pNTAW-L.jpg

764849517_46yyx-L.jpg

Full series here.

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    The lighting is super moody, and I like the use of textures with this style of processing. The eye work looks like a mis-match in a few of them....with number 3 being the most obvious of these.

Still though.....very nice set.....style and mood prevail!clap.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Really nice set there. Great light and mood. thumb.gif
    Minor nit is the smudge on her cheek is over smoothed and it looks like it was PS'ed on afterward. Though perhaps she is so stylish, even her grease-marks are feathered....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited January 14, 2010
    You've done well with these. Especially #3. I love the look of the shot. Maybe a little less light would be better? ne_nau.gif I do like this set.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    My fav is 9! But all are lovely. I do agree with Jeff on the eyes thing on 3, though.

I bet she loved these! bowdown.gif
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    She's very Amelia Earhart in that last one. And oh my, does she clean up nicely!! :)

Shame you couldn't have gotten her IN that airplane with the hat on (or did you and I just didn't see them all?)
  • Options
    0bscura0bscura Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Awesome work. I love all the warm tones and texture.

Who is McNally if you don't mind me asking?
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    :jawdrop bowdown.gif W-O-W!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and feedback, all! iloveyou.gif

Jeff, et al, interesting about her eyes. I didn't do anything to them beyond brighten them, but it seems as if she has a slightly lazy left eye. I have never noticed that before. Did some work on #3 to make the natural occurrence less noticeable. Next time I shoot her, I'll try shooting her right side. Something I should learn to see as I pursue portraits, so thank you for pointing it out.
    Shame you couldn't have gotten her IN that airplane with the hat on (or did you and I just didn't see them all?)
    I didn't, mainly because I didn't have a good base plane image to accomplish that. All the plane shots are composites, and the planes were photographed long before I had this series idea. :D
    0bscura wrote:
    Who is McNally if you don't mind me asking?
    Joe McNally, lighting genius. thumb.gif
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Thanks for the comments and feedback, all! iloveyou.gif

Jeff, et al, interesting about her eyes. I didn't do anything to them beyond brighten them, but it seems as if she has a slightly lazy left eye. I have never noticed that before. Did some work on #3 to make the natural occurrence less noticeable. Next time I shoot her, I'll try shooting her right side. Something I should learn to see as I pursue portraits, so thank you for pointing it out.

I didn't, mainly because I didn't have a good base plane image to accomplish that. All the plane shots are composites, and the planes were photographed long before I had this series idea. :D

Joe McNally, lighting genius. thumb.gif

Entertaining and fun concept! Tremendous execution--you did more than just pay attention in Joe's class. clap.gif

Regarding the eyes: it looks as if a couple of the selections for the brightening could've been feathered more. The transition is hard-edged and mechanical, rather than organic. #6 is the most credible in this regard.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    awesome photos! I would never have believed those were composites on the plane ones. Seriously cool stuff.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    These are too cool. #9 is my favorite.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Love the set. Like #9 especially, the eyes seem more natural with that one.

Eyes are difficult for me also that is why I just recently ended up buying Portrait Professional (<cite>www.portraitprofessional.com)</cite>. It has a masking outlining tool to identify the eyes and then refines it from there. Much better than I have been able to do manually. I also like its skin textures better than Portraiture (<cite>www.imagenomic.com). </cite>Now you can probably make Portraiture do exactly what you want but Portrait Professional was simpler and quite a bit cheaper...

<cite>
    </cite>
    <cite>
    </cite><cite></cite>

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    I think I'm in love. She's gorgeous. mwink.gifwink:D:D

Oh....the photos.....nice work!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Great concept Like 'em all! thumb.gif
  • Options
    digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Thought #8 was a comp, but #7 had me.
    Awsome series.....
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    I love #9!!! My daughter is a USAF pilot and this gives me a great idea to recreate this shot with her as my subject. Great work!!!
    John
  • Options
    nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Holy cow, you put so much work into this. Absolutely amazing series! It is quite entertaining to follow the story. Superb job!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Options
    PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Halite wrote:
    Entertaining and fun concept! Tremendous execution--you did more than just pay attention in Joe's class. clap.gif

Regarding the eyes: it looks as if a couple of the selections for the brightening could've been feathered more. The transition is hard-edged and mechanical, rather than organic. #6 is the most credible in this regard.

I love them. Actually, I quickly browsed through your site, and you have a lot of amazing shots there.

Thanks for sharing.

KAW.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com