Options

Opinions and suggestions

morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
edited January 19, 2010 in Sports
I went along to this event hoping to capture freeze frame action. Because I didn't arrive 4 hours before the event I also couldn't get that close. How can I improve these photos?

767367191_8LX42-M.jpg

767367193_Nk9As-M.jpg

767367241_MfxzU-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Last shot is a nice capture. Nice framing.

The biggest issue on all of these is too much depth of field (even the last one). Too much of the distracting background is in focus. That really ruins shot #2. There's no action in the shot and the background is way too distracting to focus sthe attention on the server. Even then however there's not much interesting there to see.

On the second shot - your timing is a bit off - you got the ball in the frame which is important but you want to capture it closer to the bump. Shutter speed is also a bit slow - especially for outdoors. The best component of this shot is the expression on her face - but I'm guessing you've already cropped this photo down a bit as there aren't a lot of details in the face or it could be some motion blur I'm not entirely sure which. A lot of what makes good sports shots is emotion and facial expressions. Unfortunately you have to be close enough or have a lens with enough reach and optical quality to capture those details - megapixels aren't the answer. Also, the crop is akward at the calves. Cutting off people's feet always looks akward. That's another reason why a bump shot like this works best if framed tighter - above the waste if you can.

Again, let me say that last shot is a very good capture - it has emotion, face is the prominant subject and has more blur (although even more would be better).

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    morgan20morgan20 Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2010
    Thanks - I will remember your suggestions for the next event.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    johng gives excellent advice. On the second one whereby you want better timing, realize that is not an easy task. I have tried to get shots timed like that (with HS indoor vb) and am lucky to get contact on the ball on one out of a hundred (with a Canon 40D). So much practice (and some luck is needed).

Otherwise, a good start to the genre. Do post your next set when you have the opportunity to shoot again.