Options

Canon AE-1

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited January 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
A family member gave me this canon AE-1. and was just messing around tonight and took some shots of it.

fffcopy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Unique lines. Go Canon!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    This was once their 1DsIII of the line...

Next up: take some shots WITH it!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 19, 2010
    I had one of those. I also had an FTb and an A1 as well as several Canon lenses. I sold them all and bought into the Nikon line
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited January 20, 2010
    32 years ago. Brings back good memories. And the smell of stop bath stinking up the bathroom and brown D-76 developer half gallon jugs, bulk film loaders and using my enlarger head timer for other creative uses.

Your AE-1 sports the FD series f/1.4 50mm lens, the better one that they were packaged with. The other was a slower and cheaper f/1.8. The high end f/1.2 was part of the A1/F1 groupings. 1.4 was the best bang for the buck by far.

Cut my photography teeth with a Canon AT-1, which was the all-manual version of the AE-1. At that time (1978), the F1 was the 1DsIII of the line, and the A1 (even more computerized automatic modes) was the 1DIII/IV, if I remember correctly, making the AE-1 equivalent to today's 5DII. Manual was a must for photography classes, and photo teachers were afraid of students using those new evil automatic cheater modes.

The Canon History museum tells us the AE-1 broke new ground as the first automatic SLR. But (and Ziggy could correct me easily if I'm wrong), I also remember Olympus beating Canon to the punch with their OM-1.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    My first SLR. Ahead of its time. Still got it. :D

Then moved onto an A-1, then a T-90, then an EOS-1. What a journey. All great cameras.