Options

Darkroom

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited July 5, 2005 in Technique
This seems to be the closest place to post this so....

Is anyone experienced in darkroom or can show me a very detailed website with information on the basics and techniques of darkroom photography? I basicaly need to learn *everything* about it.
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    I can't help much on the website, but you might do just as well if your local library has the classroom classic, "Photography" by Barbara London and John Upton. It's like an encyclopedia of photography and had a good darkroom section. I said library because it's kind of an expensive book to buy.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited July 4, 2005
    Local community colleges will usually have a photography course(s) that concentrates on darkroom techniques. It's more fun in a class environment.

And I'll second the suggestion on the local library. Gotta be a hundred titles in just about any decent size library about the subject. But no book, no matter how good, can prepare you for the smell and stains of developer and stop bath. lol3.gif

Kodak just announced the discontinuance of their photo print papers. Stock should last through 2006, but after that, who knows. Ilford is still committed, but again, there will be a limited life for all things chemical photography related. My best guess is that it will someday become a specialty art medium, along with the challenge of coating your own paper stock for prints and making your own film emulsions. Actually, that sounds kinda fun - but dangerous.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    I can't help much on the website, but you might do just as well if your local library has the classroom classic, "Photography" by Barbara London and John Upton. It's like an encyclopedia of photography and had a good darkroom section. I said library because it's kind of an expensive book to buy.
    I have this book and highly recommend it. Will teach you eveything you need to know.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 4, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Kelly - the book recommended here is terrific let me just advise you I purchased it recently at Border's Books, off the clearance table for $9.99, so shop around before paying $90 at Amazon.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Yes, I study B&W photography and develop all my own negs and prints. Um, what exactly would you like to know?

Basically, your film must be loaded into your cannister in TOTAL darkness, and all your chemicals have to be exact with amounts and temperatures for development to work properly. Temperature affects development time...And time is crucial.

Prints can be developed under the red safe lights. You use an enlarger to shine light through your negative to expose your paper and then run the paper through the chemicals and ...Magically with luck it appears...

It can be very fiddly but I love it.

I have seen a few good books, one was called "The Master's Printing Course" but I can't remember who it was by I will have to look it up.

Do you have access to a darkroom? And if so does it have all equipment? You will also need things like contrast filters to get the best effect from your prints. They type of paper you are using also can change the process alot.

I personally use Ilford paper, film and chemicals and I highly recommend them.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Yeah, the book is in like its eighth edition, but darkroom work hasn't changed that much over the years, so you could look for a cheaper previous edition at a used bookstore and it would still have all the necessary darkroom info in it.

I'm shocked at Amazon's price. I looked at the price sticker on the back of my paperback copy, which I got at a local bookstore, and it said $65.95. But that was a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    Yeah, the book is in like its eighth edition, but darkroom work hasn't changed that much over the years, so you could look for a cheaper previous edition at a used bookstore and it would still have all the necessary darkroom info in it.

I'm shocked at Amazon's price. I looked at the price sticker on the back of my paperback copy, which I got at a local bookstore, and it said $65.95. But that was a few years ago.
    and which edition do you have?

I have the Sixth edition
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    The book was 'The Photographer's Master Printing Course' by Tim Rudman. Excellentbook I learned alot from itthumb.gif

Also I found this site for you. http://http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,853 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    The best on-line BW darkroom resource I could find was at:

http://www3.telus.net/drkrm/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I think your best bet is to skip the books and the online courses and take a face to face, hands on course at a local community college. Nothing like having a real, live person to guide you, and other students to talk with and share ideas and inspiration with.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think your best bet is to skip the books and the online courses and take a face to face, hands on course at a local community college. Nothing like having a real, live person to guide you, and other students to talk with and share ideas and inspiration with.
    15524779-Ti.gif