Options

Question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 20, 2010 in Street and Documentary
There is a longshot chance that I may get to the rehearsal for the opening of the Vancouver Olympic games (I know I can get a ticket since a friend is involved and has access, it's just whether I can get up to Canada during the week in question!)

IF I were to go... does anybody know typical camera restrictions for this sort of event, or at least where I could find those? I presume they don't want enthusiastic amateurs getting TOO enthusiastic... especially with long lenses :rofl (although I also presume that from the stands will be way too far to capture anything remotely threatening to the press).

Just wondering.

ETA: Sorry if this should be in a different forum - I couldn't really think where was most appropriate, but figured the journos in here would be the most likely to know (or know where I could find) the information :D

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    There is a longshot chance that I may get to the rehearsal for the opening of the Vancouver Olympic games (I know I can get a ticket since a friend is involved and has access, it's just whether I can get up to Canada during the week in question!)

IF I were to go... does anybody know typical camera restrictions for this sort of event, or at least where I could find those? I presume they don't want enthusiastic amateurs getting TOO enthusiastic... especially with long lenses rolleyes1.gif (although I also presume that from the stands will be way too far to capture anything remotely threatening to the press).

Just wondering.

ETA: Sorry if this should be in a different forum - I couldn't really think where was most appropriate, but figured the journos in here would be the most likely to know (or know where I could find) the information :D

Can't answer the Q. But I can suggest you try this post in "Sports" as many have experience/access to these types of events.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    Hi Divamum,

I went to the Table Tennis finals at the Beijing Olympics. When I called in advance, the only advice was no professional gear and no tripods. I opted not to take a monopod.

When I arrived, there was fairly stringent security and some signs about types of allowed photographic equipment. I carried my kit in a non-descript non-camera bag. I pulled the body with a small zoom out at the first security point and then passed through the rest without question. I only took the 70-200 out once I was in my seat. No one bothered me at all and I was sitting almost directly above the China national broadcasting podium. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2010
    Thanks both. I wonder... what is the official definition of "professional gear"? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks both. I wonder... what is the official definition of "professional gear"? headscratch.gif

I asked the same question, but didn't get a good answer. ne_nau.gif So, I took it to mean: Don't look like a photographer. I think there is some advice on the official olympics website. But then again, given this a rehearsal, there might be other rules in effect.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    divamum wrote:

Maybe it's one of those sleeveless vest things with all the pockets.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    divamum wrote:

The only NE Patriots game I ever attended, I was disappointed to learn of the same prohibition. What it meant in that instance was, no cameras with detachable lenses, so I was limited to my p&s.

But this could be open to interpretation by individual venues.

If you have a connection to newspaper or mag, or a friend in high places, you should try to get a press pass. That would change everything, would allow you full access.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Annndd.... here's the answer. Took some finding, but google and I negotiated over search strings and I finally found it buried about 6 pages down in the FAQ (where it DIDN'T come up on a keyword search for photograph headscratch.gif) on the vancouver2010.com website :D

" Can I take photographs or use my video camera at the venues? Photography for personal use is permitted, but flash photography is not permitted at Canada Hockey Place, Pacific Coliseum, Richmond Olympic Oval, UBC Thunderbird Arena and The Whistler Sliding Centre. The use of broadcast or photographic equipment for commercial purposes is prohibited."

Of course, that's not to say that there aren't further restrictions, but it sounds like it may not be too big a deal.

Now I just have to see if I can overcome all the logistic obstacles to decideif this may be possible...

Oh, and Sara - no official access for me. I simply have a friend who's a volunteer and so got rehearsal passes for the Opening Ceremony - that's the extent of my "friends in high places" on this occasion!
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    I took pictures at Seattle Storms (Women's pro b-ball) and was very pleased that no one questioned my 5D + 70-200 lens. The same "no flash" rule was in place, and so I thought my equipment should be OK, and no one questioned it. My guess is that rules against "professional gear" will depend a lot on whether you look like you might be planning on making money off your photos.

And, although I got some great shots at the b-ball game (sitting directly behind the backboard, very near the actual photographers), my 70-200, though a beautiful lens did not compare to their really long lenses.
    divamum wrote:
    Annndd.... here's the answer. Took some finding, but google and I negotiated over search strings and I finally found it buried about 6 pages down in the FAQ (where it DIDN'T come up on a keyword search for photograph headscratch.gif) on the vancouver2010.com website :D

" Can I take photographs or use my video camera at the venues? Photography for personal use is permitted, but flash photography is not permitted at Canada Hockey Place, Pacific Coliseum, Richmond Olympic Oval, UBC Thunderbird Arena and The Whistler Sliding Centre. The use of broadcast or photographic equipment for commercial purposes is prohibited."

Of course, that's not to say that there aren't further restrictions, but it sounds like it may not be too big a deal.

Now I just have to see if I can overcome all the logistic obstacles to decideif this may be possible...

Oh, and Sara - no official access for me. I simply have a friend who's a volunteer and so got rehearsal passes for the Opening Ceremony - that's the extent of my "friends in high places" on this occasion!
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    And sometimes the best photos are not of the event itself but instead all the interesting things that happen on the edges and fringes of an event. Hope you can go, it's a great opportunity. Look around, work the edges if you can.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    Sounds FUN! I hope you can go! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2010
    I would say to go online and find a phone # where you can ask directly.

I wish you success!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    ~gulp~

Looks like I'm going! I guess I should probably invest in a teleconverter for my 135.... otherwise I have NO long lenses any more!!
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    There would be a total ban on any photography of any kind, or even talking about what you saw, for an Olympic Games opening ceremony rehearsal - surely? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    There would be a total ban on any photography of any kind, or even talking about what you saw, for an Olympic Games opening ceremony rehearsal - surely? eek7.gif

You know, that's actually a very good point which hadn't occurred to me. headscratch.gif I guess I'll find out! Regardless, it will be very cool to see the Olympic torch arrive in the town where I'll be staying, and even if I can't shoot the money moments, I'm sure it will be pretty cool. thumb.gif