Options

bittersweet weekend

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited July 12, 2005 in The Big Picture
[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva]So I go away for the weekend to cover this Mud Bog event up In Albright Shores, Mi. It was alot of fun got tones of photographs of trucks catching huge air and splashing up tons of mud. They had me race in the Celebrity Mud Bog on sunday. There were 10 drivers in total. The bad thing was that instead of keeping the trucks seperated by their divisions they put all the trucks in one division for this. This ment that street stock and modified classes ran together. Well if we had ran classes I would have taken first in street stock class. There were about 6 SS cars and 3 Mod's (1 ran twice). So overall in the event I took second however I was only 3 feet short of beating the truck that took first which was a modified vehicle. I even drove the truck further than the owner/driver did in either of his two runs that day (which the other owners gave him **** for). Made $119.00 for Make-a-Wish Foundation, and got a big trophy too.

Then I get a call that the night before my mom let my dog's out, and instead of paying attention and letting them in she played computer games and lost track of time. They either got of their chains or someone let them off and they ran away. My dog got hit by a car and killed while her dog was just fine.

All I want to do right now is drive my Z. Just get in it and drive till I can't drive anymore. But I can't even do that cause its still all apart.
[/font]
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    They either got of their chains or someone let them off and they ran away. My dog got hit by a car and killed while her dog was just fine.

All I want to do right now is drive my Z. Just get in it and drive till I can't drive anymore. But I can't even do that cause its still all apart.[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Life can be very unfair. What a bugger to come home to. Loosing an animal always hurts, but if it happens like that, it is even worse because it could have easily been prevented. sorry Mate!
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    So sorry for your loss Gary obviously you know what animals mean to me...I can't imagine what you feel like.. Life sucks sometimes..
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Gary, that's awful. I'm so sorry. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Commando BotanistCommando Botanist Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Oh, damn. I'm so sorry. That's terrible. You have my sympathy. Now I want to go home and hug my doggies. :cry Life seriously sucks sometimes. Heal as well as you can.
    "Whatever you do will be insignificant. but it is very important that you do it." -- Gandhi
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Very very sorry for your loss! Went through something similar not too long ago and I know how you must feel. Best thing to do is grieve and then go out and adopt again. I hope you can find the strength for a new beginning.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Very very sorry for your loss! Went through something similar not too long ago and I know how you must feel. Best thing to do is grieve and then go out and adopt again. I hope you can find the strength for a new beginning.
    That just sucks, Gary. I know what my canine friends mean to me. The best thing to do is take a trip to the pound and save another dogs life. Find a new puppy and make it a home. thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    My heart breaks for your loss Gary and I am deeply saddened along with you. May you find some strength knowing you made your friends life as good as you possibly could. I think your friend would like you to think that.

AJ
  • Options
    AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Gary, Dam it!
    Ugh! That really stinks. So Sorry!

A few years ago when we had two Bouviers and a Standard poodle, they all were getting on in years (the Bouvs 12 yrs and poodle 11.5 yrs) ..over a 3 month period we ended up putting ALL 3 down for various age related ailments...the day we put both Bouviers down (in the same day!) was a worse day, than the day my Dad died. -'We work from home so they were literally with us 24 hours a day for all 12 years (minus a holiday here and there)

You have gotten some great advice from others that I can only ditto!

The Best Cure For a Pet Loss, Is Another!

It Is So True!

Go For It!

Start planning out today, what pup/dog/sex/color that you are going to get, ASAP!

Just last night, on July 4th, my wife Marie, two good friends and myself were part of a volunteer group that drove out to our local animal shelter. The reason being, was that this particular shelter in Camarillo, California... happens to be located beside a small airport.

This airport, because of the open space is also used to fire of the areas local fireworks, which was not more than 100 yards from the shelter. Our job was to arrive early enough, take a section of the shelter before the fireworks began, so that the dogs would become somewhat used to us and start walking some of the more anxious ones (before the fireworks began) then once they all were secure back in their pens, stay with them, talk to them, give them treats, just try anything to get them to focus on us, before all hell broke loose as the dogs/cats/bunnies started freak'n out from the loud fireworks...at this point we would focus on the dogs that tried to scratch, climb, bite their way out of the pens. One of the best tricks we learned was to slide blankets under the pen and try to get them to (focus) dig like mad on the blanket instead of ripping their paws apart scratching on the metal cages...I had one German Sheppard who was handling the fireworks reasonably well for the first 10 minutes and then he went crazy....he grabbed one of the blankets in his mouth that I still had a hold of and began pulling and ripping it to shred’s (we had an intense tug of war going on through the cage...which was Excellent, for therefore he was not busting a tooth or ripping his paws to shreds on the metal caging. (he was a sweet dog otherwise; just one of those dogs that on top of already in an unfamiliar/loud environment, FREAKED out with fireworks)

There were 5 Humane staff on duty and approx 30 of us volunteers to watch over 150+ dogs...overall it went better than expected, for we came out the other end of the fireworks with no dogs with anything close to a major injury, as a result of the incredibly loud fireworks echoing through the (concrete and metal) animal shelter halls.... This was our first year doing this and next year we plan to network through friends and essentially every one we know so that we can get a ton of people there next year, 'the more hands the better!'

In the mean time, we will also see if we can put some pressure on the community this year, to find another location for the fireworks.

The reason for writing you this long story, is that there are so many beautiful animals searching for an Awesome home...you name it and they are there...a gorgeous 2-3 year old (deep red color) Golden Retriever with that big wide beautiful head that I love so much with that breed, a couple of very nice looking German Sheppard’s, 1 year old (siblings) sweet/pretty long haired Chihuahua's, a very pretty (young) pointer of some kind, that I got to know very well, as he was one who Really did not enjoy the fireworks and there was even a pup there ??? (how pups end up in animal shelters... is a mystery to me), some older absolutely SWEET dogs that also need a great home (you know, the ones that would be happy with a simple lay down in a sunny, back yard and then in for an evening of watching TV) just simply needing some love and no need for a ton of excitement, long walks etc. and the list goes on
    ... there are a ton of incredibly beautiful pets out there searching for that Awesome home!

Just a thought that I wanted to share with you.

Gary, what ever you decide, it is obvious from you reaction that your pup had a loving home ...and was in that 5-10% of all dogs, that lucked out and hit the lotto when it came to ending up in a caring home environment.

We currently have 3 dogs....2 Standard Poodles which we got as pups, Bugsy is now 3 years old and China is 2 years old and not 6 months ago, we got ourselves a (rescue) 2 year old Afghan Hound, his name was Hunter, so we decided not to change his name...

Chinas on the left...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/AnsonM/rszd3some.jpg

I know, it is a really Lousy (exposure) shot, but hey, that is why I am hanging around information sources such as DGRIN, I need big time help and direction...which I am getting. I am enjoying this site!

Gary, Best regards!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Gary, sorry, that is terrible.

And you can't even be mad and yell and scream as it was your mother.

I cannot think of anything much worse in the dog world.

I feel hostage to my dogs. Afraid to leave town, because I don't trust my husband. Something could happen anyway.

I am really sorry.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    Gary,

Sorry to hear about the dog. Like 4labs and others, my pets have always meant more
    to me than many things in this life. I can imagine how you feel.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I have no words of wisdom, I can only say I have felt the loss of a four legged friend who was my constant companion, and while there is no magic cure for the pain, time will help.

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    not much to add, except i feel for you man... so sorry this happened.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2005
    Gary I am so sorry for your loss. After a while I think rescuing a pound dog would be a great act of kindness.