Options

DSS 42, first try ever

sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited January 21, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi Folks:

I'm new but since I've been criticizing others attempts in an effort to understand my own eye, I'm throwing my own attempt up here. Criticism cheerfully accepted.

1) "I didn't do anything!"

768617946_d89yh-M.jpg

2) "Teacher"
768617996_SbYWs-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Of these definitely #1. clap.gif
    There is a very clear story and great interaction, I love the look on the girl's face & I can almost here the adult's voice - it looks like a full name moment!
    For those who don't get that "Catherine Elizabeth Smith what do you think you were doing?"
    Great capturethumb.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    AndMan wrote:
    Of these definitely #1. clap.gif
    There is a very clear story and great interaction, I love the look on the girl's face & I can almost here the adult's voice - it looks like a full name moment!
    For those who don't get that "Catherine Elizabeth Smith what do you think you were doing?"
    Great capturethumb.gif

I agree.
    I see the little girl defending herself "but, but"--Her arm pointing out of range of camera suggests that maybe she's blaming someone else.
    It's a shot that tells a story for sure.

The look on the little girls face is priceless--reminds me of my son.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    Thanks you guys. Any comments on cropping/transforming the B/W?

Incidentally, it really wasn't the girl's fault (she was the one who got splashed), except in the sense that playing in puddles is inherently prone to full-name minutes.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 20, 2010
    I like the first one also. If you are able to change the crop and still have the feet of the teacher in the shot...that might be stronger. Then take a little of the top. But otherwise the crop here is fine if you don't have the feet.thumb.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    Thanks you guys. Any comments on cropping/transforming the B/W?

Incidentally, it really wasn't the girl's fault (she was the one who got splashed), except in the sense that playing in puddles is inherently prone to full-name minutes.

Don't know about the crop.
    If anything I wish you had more of the image to show, but I notice in this style of photography that is always my preference, but it could be a personal thing. I want to see more not less.
    I'll wait for others to chime in though.
    I like your b&w conversion.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    "ANTHONY... DOUGLAS....McGUINESS!!!! Get in this house right NOW!!!!!!" (Not a chance!) Been there, done that!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Shoots2LittleShoots2Little Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2010
    I like #1 also. Just looking at it in your gallery in larger form really made it hit home.

As a side note, in looking at the EXIF data for those two images they are stripped down and I didn't see a date in there which is required for submission. Just FYI in case you submit one.

Chris
    D40 18-55/3.5 35/1.8

My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up about the EXIF. The program I used to convert to B/W must have stripped the exif and I'll make sure it's there if I upload it to the gallery.

Oh, and I agree that it would have been nice to have the mom (not teacher)'s feet. That's one of my new years resolutions, to stop chopping people's feet off in pictures.
  • Options
    MachineAgeMachineAge Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Definitely number one. Seems like the story is in the girl's face and it might help to crop down to her face and the adult hand pointing at her. I tried to download, crop and upload again to show what I mean but couldn't make it work in my Lightroom.